is the regency
seat of Buleleng
. The name is Indonesian
for 'Lion King'. It is on the north coast just east of Lovina
. It has an area of 27.98 km² and population of 80,500.
Singaraja was the Dutch colonial administrative centre for Bali and the Lesser Sunda Islands until 1953, and the port of arrival for most visitors until development of the Bukit Peninsula area in the south.
Gedong Kirtya, just south of the town centre, is the only library of lontar manuscripts (ancient and sacred texts on leaves of the rontal palm) in the world.
Singaraja has the following sister cities