forms the west-east axis of the Shanghai metro
network, intersecting with the north-south axis Line 1
at People's Square
. Currently Line 2 runs from Songhong Road
in the west to Zhangjiang Hi-Tech Park
in the east, passing under the Huangpu
river and the Lujiazui
financial district in Pudong
Work is underway on a western extension from Songhong Road to Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport, and an eastern extension from Zhangjiang Hi-Tech Park to Shanghai Pudong International Airport, most of which will be built underground . Extension to both airports will see the total length of the metro line increase to over 50km, considerably longer than the current 25.4km—both extensions are due to be finished before EXPO 2010.
In October 2006, it was decided to rename three stations on Line 2 until the end of the year, adopting a new naming scheme: metro stations are no longer supposed to be named after neighbouring vertical streets (like bus stations), but famous streets and sights in the vicinity, making it easier for visitors to find these places. The renamed stations are Shiji Avenue (formerly Dongfang Road), Nanjing Road (E.) (formerly Middle Henan Road) and Nanjing Road (W.) (formerly Shimen No. 1 Road).
Some important stations on the line are:
- Zhongshan Park - Interchange with Line 3 and Line 4. Zhongshan Park, Shanghai's largest park, Several major shopping malls, including 'Metro Town' and 'Cloud Nine'.
- Jing'an Temple - close to famous Jing'an Temple and the terminal for some airport buses, as well as a shopping plaza.
- People's Square - at People's Square, an important business and shopping area, the station is one of the busiest on the network. Interchange with Line 1 and Line 8.
- Nanjing Road (E.) - on Nanjing Road pedestrianised shopping street, and close to The Bund and the bookstores on Fuzhou Road.
- Lujiazui - the first stop in Pudong, in the middle of the Lujiazui financial center, close to the Huangpu River, Oriental Pearl Tower and Jinmao Building.
- Century Avenue - the biggest station in Shanghai, it will be a 4-line-interchange-station in the soon future. Currently, passengers can interchange to Line 4 and Line 6 at this station.
- Longyang Road - Near Shanghai New International Exhibiton Center and several large stores (Decathlon, Metro, B&Q). Transfer with the Shanghai Maglev and buses to Pudong Airport.
On metro line 2, Siemens Transporation Systems equipped the line with an overhead contact Line (cantilever material: galvanized steel) and 7 DC traction power supply substations.