is a private, historically black
, liberal arts
university in Selma, Alabama
. It is affiliated with the Alabama State Missionary Baptist Convention.
The institution was founded in 1878 as the Alabama Baptist Normal and Theological School to train African Americans as ministers and teachers. The school purchased the former Selma Fair Grounds later that same year, moving into the fair's old exposition buildings.