The Sector 16 Stadium
is a cricket
stadium in Chandigarh
. It hosted its first ODI match
on January 27 1985
and its only Test match
. It comes under the Haryana Cricket Association
THe following are the matches played over here:
- First Test - India v Sri Lanka - Nov 23-27, 1990
- First ODI - India v England - Jan 27, 1985
- Second Last ODI - India v England - Jan 21, 1993
- Last ODI - India v Australia - Oct 8, 2007
It has hosted only four matches. The likes of Kapil Dev, Chetan Sharma and Yograj Singh started playing cricket at the Sector 16 Stadium. It fell out of favour to the nearby Punjab Cricket Association Stadium (Mohali) cricket ground. After the stadium in Mohali was built, there was no first-class cricket at the Sector 16 Stadium for 10 years before Haryana ended the barren spell by playing the Ranji Trophy Plate League semi-final in 2004-05. But after 14 years, India & Australia played a match over here on 8th Oct 2007.
Records Over here
Batting In ODI's
- Most Runs - NS Sidhu (India) 1990-1993 - 180 Runs in two matches with 5 sixes
- Highest Scores in an innings - GR Marsh(Australia) - 126* Runs in 149 Balls with 12 fours & 3 Sixes
Bowling in ODI's
- Most Wickets - N Kapil Dev (India) - 1985-1993 - 4 wickets in 3 matches
- Highest Wicket taker in an innings - TAP Sekhar - 3 wickets in 3 overs with 23 runs.
Batting in Test
- Most Runs - RJ Shastri (India) - 88 Runs in 1 match
- Highest Scores in an innings - RJ Shastri (India) - 88 Runs in 1 match
Bowling in Test
- Most Wickets - SLV Raju (India) 8 wickets in 53 overs with 37 runs.
- Highest Wicket taker in an innings - SLV Raju - 6 wickets in 17.5 overs and 12 runs.