refers to the period following the election of 1968 characterized by more conservatism, and a retreat from governmental and judicial activism on issues of civil rights. The period was reactionary, and was filled with controversies, such as the issue of school busing in Boston and other Northern cities. The period followed Second Reconstruction
, it is unclear if the Second Redemption is over.
- American Experience - Reconstruction: The Second Civil War
- Kousser, J. Morgan, "The Supreme Court And The Undoing of the Second Reconstruction," National Forum, (Spring 2000).
- Joondeph, Bradley W., "A Second Redemption?" Washington and Lee Law Review,(Winter 1999).
- Eric Foner and Joshua Brown, Forever Free: The Story of Emancipation and Reconstruction. Alfred A. Knopf: New York, 2005, 225-238.
- Gary Orfield, Susan E. Eaton, and the Harvard Project on School Desegregation, Dismantling Desegregation: The Quiet Reversal of Brown v. Board of Education. New York: The New Press, 1996.