The wreck was lying in the inter-tidal zone about half way between the high and low water levels, giving about 6 hours for assessment between tides. It quickly became clear that what the sea had revealed, the sea was again going to conceal, as, with each tide, the sand was gradually returning to cover the wreck.
The wreck lies with her bows towards the shore. It is approximately 25m long and 7m broad. The frames are oak and fastened with treenails. It appears to be of a type of vessel known as a collier brig, a sturdy type of vessel favoured by Captain James Cook for his voyages of exploration.
It appears to have been subject to salvage as frames have been cut off to a consistent level, leaving the remains of the masts and lower third of the hull. Damage to the port side near the stern may have been made as part of the salvage operation to remove its cargo, possibly of coal. A photograph taken by a local priest, James Pattison in 1898 appears to show the same wreck with the hull salvaged but the stern post still intact.
Tees Archaeology as the licencee has responsibility for monitoring the wrecksite. The wreck was substantially (though briefly) uncovered in 2002 and again in 2004allowing further recording to be carried out. In 2004 and 2005 the wreck was partially exposed for most of the time, but in 2006 and 2007 it was rarely, if at all, exposed.