Scotts Miracle-Gro Company
is an American multinational corporation
headquartered in Marysville, Ohio
Scotts Miracle-Gro Company manufactures branded consumer products for lawn and garden care, with products for professional horticulture as well. The company reported $2.7 billion in worldwide sales in FY 06 (Sept.)
The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company was founded in 1868
by Orlando McLean Scott as a premium seed company for the U.S. agricultural industry. In the early 1900s, the company began a lawn grass seed business for homeowners. In recent times, a significant milestone was the merger of Scotts, the leading lawn care brand, with Miracle-Gro, the leading gardening brand, in 1995 to create the Scotts Miracle-Gro Company.
Mergers and acquisitions
1995: Scotts merged with Sterns Miracle-Gro Products, Inc. Horace Hagedorn (1916–2005) and his partner Otto Stern founded the Miracle-Gro organization in 1951 dedicated to the proposition "you don't have to be an expert to create a beautiful garden.
2002: Scotts LawnService acquires The Lawn Company, a major lawn care service company in the Boston area.
2002: Scotts LawnService acquires substantially all of the lawn care operations of Centex HomeTeam Services, a division of Centex Corporation.
2004: Scotts acquires Smith & Hawken, Ltd., a brand in the outdoor living and garden lifestyle category.
2005: Scotts acquires the Rod McLellan Company, a provider of soil and landscape products in the western U.S.
2005: Scotts acquires Gutwein & Co. Inc., whose Morning Song brand is a part of the growing wild bird food category.
2006: Scotts acquires certain brands and assets from Turf-Seed, Inc., a producer of commercial turfgrasses for more than 35 years.
2006: Scotts acquires certain brands and assets from Landmark Seed Company, a producer and distributor of professional seed and turfgrasses.
Board of directors
Current (2006) members of the board of directors
of Scotts Miracle-Gro Company are:
- Mark R. Baker - President, Chief Executive Officer and Director, Gander Mountain Company, Outdoor retailer, Chair of Governance & Nominating Committee and Member of Compensation & Organization Committee, Board member since 2004
- Gordon F. Brunner - Chief Technology Officer (retired), The Procter & Gamble Company, Manufacturer of family, personal and household care products Chair of Innovation & Technology Committee and Member of Governance & Nominating Committee, Board member since 2003
- Arnold W. Donald - President and Chief Executive Officer, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation International, A non-profit research organization, Chair of Compensation & Organization Committee, Board member since 2000
- Joseph P. Flannery - President, Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Board, Uniroyal Holding, Inc., Investment management company, Member of both Compensation & Organization and Governance & Nominating Committees, Board member since 1987
- James Hagedorn - President, Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Board, The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company, Board member since 1995
- Thomas N. Kelly Jr. - Former Executive Vice President, Transition Integration, Sprint Nextel Corporation, Global communications company, Member of both Audit and Compensation & Organization Committees, Board member since 2006
- Katherine Hagedorn Littlefield - Chair, Hagedorn Partnership, L.P., Private investment partnership, Member of both Finance and Innovation & Technology Committees, Board member since 2000
- Karen G. Mills - Managing Director and Founder, Solera Capital, Private equity firm, Chair of Finance Committee and Member of Audit Committee, Board member since 1994
- Patrick J. Norton - Executive Vice President and, Chief Financial Officer (retired), The Scotts Company, Member of Finance Committee, Board member since 1998
- Stephanie M. Shern - Founder, Shern Associates LLC, Retail consulting and business, advisory firm, Chair of Audit Committee, Board member since 2003
- John M. Sullivan - Independent director for several companies, Member of Audit Committee, Board member since 1994, (Planned Retirement January 2007)
- John Walker, Ph.D. - Chairman, Advent International, Private equity management company, Member of Finance Committee, Board member since 1998, (Planned Retirement January 2007)
- Nancy G. Mistretta - Partner at the executive search firm of Russell Reynolds Associates, Member of Finance Committee, Board member since 2007
- James Hagedorn, President, Chief Executive Officer, and Chairman of the Board
- Denise Stump, Executive Vice President, Global Human Resources
- Vincent Brockman, Chief Ethics Officer and Chief Administrative Officer
- David Evans, Chief Financial Officer and Executive Vice President
- Barry Sanders, Executive Vice President, North America
- Claude Lopez, Senior Vice President, International and Global Chief Marketing Officer
- Peter Korda, Senior Vice President, Scotts LawnService
- Gordy Erickson, Senior Vice President, Smith & Hawken
- Mike Lukemire, Senior Vice President, Global Technologies and Operations