Scary Movie 2
is a 2001 American comedy film
and is the second film of the Scary Movie
"More Merciless. More Shameless."
"We Lied." (referring to the original Scary Movie's tagline of "No Mercy. No Shame. No Sequel.)
The sequel to Scary Movie begins with a parody of The Exorcist, in which Megan Voorhees (Natasha Lyonne), is possessed and two priests, Father McFeely (James Woods) and Father Harris (Andy Richter), must drive the demon out. The exorcism doesn't go as planned, and a chain of The Exorcist-like vomiting occurs. Megan insults McFeely's mother and he shoots her in the head.
One year later, Cindy Campbell (Anna Faris), Brenda Meeks (Regina Hall), Ray Wilkins (Shawn Wayans) and Shorty Meeks (Marlon Wayans) are at college, trying to live new lives, after the curse in the last movie. (Although all of them died in Scary Movie, in a deleted scene, Brenda says her death was a near death experience, and Cindy was never officially declared dead.) Cindy and Brenda get tagged by a dorky girl, Alex Monday (Tori Spelling); Ray, who is still confused by his sexuality, has two new friends, Tommy (James DeBello) and Buddy (Christopher Masterson); while Shorty is still the same stoner he was in the last movie.
The story begins when a college teacher, Professor Oldman (Tim Curry) and his wheel-chaired assistant Dwight (David Cross) plan to study ghosts from a haunted mansion, with the clueless teens as bait. Newcomer Theo (Kathleen Robertson) becomes part of the study group.
When Cindy arrives at the mansion, she meets a talking Amazon parrot who is vulgar and slanderous, and the caretaker,Lord Emperor Hanson (Chris Elliott), who has great people skills and a genetically enhanced little hand. After some weird incidents on that night (Cindy being beaten up by a cat, Ray killing a toy clown after it had attacked him, Shorty getting attacked and smoked by a weed-monster, Alex having a sexual encounter with a ghost, etc.), the teens finally learn about the professor's plan and try to escape the mansion.
The professor gets killed by a female ghost with disfigured features. The gang would like to kill the ghost of the mansion's former owner to escape. To this end, they are equipped with several technological devices by Dwight that serve to harass and injure the spectral enemy. They are pursued all throughout the mansion. Hanson gets possessed, and Cindy, Brenda and Theo parody Charlie's Angels to get him, but end up beaten up.
In the end, they use Cindy as bait to lure the ghost to a device that ultimately destroys it. Two months later, Cindy encounters Hanson again when she and Buddy are taking a walk. After Buddy disappears without notice, she looks up to see Hanson serving at the hot dog stand. She screams "No!" while Hanson screams "Yes!". Hanson is instantly hit by a car. It is being driven by Shorty, who is receiving oral sex by the beautiful ghost...with a bag over her head.
It is also revealed that Cindy is now taking care of the parrot, who despises her because she talks so much.
- Paulie - The talking parrot near the beginning of the film and near the end.
- The Exorcist - The entire opening sequence.Also the girl who is possessed is called Megan, while in The Exorcist the girl's name is Regan.
- Harry Potter - When Buddy shows Cindy the book "Harry Pothead"
- Nike Commercial - The dancing/basketball sequence
- Hollow Man - Cindy and a badly injured Buddy being locked in the freezer and they must escape. The thermo-goggles and guns are an exact replica that the characters used in Hollow Man (Exception being that the guns shot darts instead of energy). In the deleted scenes, Cindy spreads blood on the floor to trap the ghost.
- The Shining - Scene locations. In the extras, the cat can be seen chopping the door and peeking in, as done in The Shining.
- The Haunting - The character Theo; The main premise of a group unknowingly being used as a research group while staying in a haunted mansion. The ghost in "The Haunting" is Hugh Crane, where the ghost in this movie is Hugh Kane.
- Urban Legend - Cindy singing badly in the car, a parody of the first death in Urban Legend
- Poltergeist - The clown underneath Ray's bed. The marijuana plant that comes in and captures Shorty and turns him into a giant joint and smokes him. The scene where Alex is having sex with the ghost on her bed and walls (also, her shirt read 69, when in Poltergeist, the shirt read 65).
- Poltergeist II: The Other Side - The caretaker, Hanson, is a parody of the character Reverend Henry Kane, the cult leader in "Poltergeist II". In addition, the name of the family home, Kane, also references "Poltergeist II". Hanson also sings "God is in his Holy Temple" the song that Kane sings in "Poltergeist II".
- Hannibal - When Shorty is about to have his brain eaten.
- The Changeling - The ball bouncing down the stairs.
- The Legend of Hell House - The attack of the black cat.
- Charlie's Angels - When Cindy, Brenda, and Theo go hand-to-hand combat with Hanson. Tori Spelling's character, Alex Monday, is a spoof of Lucy Liu's character in Charlie's Angels, Alex Munday.
- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - During the "Charlie's Angels" scene.
- What Lies Beneath - Scene with Cindy in the red dress, seducing the professor, then turning into Ray. Cindy confronts the Professor in the kitchen and tells him that she thinks his wife is starting to suspect something. In deleted scenes, Cindy is almost drowned in a bathtub.
- Pet Sematary - The cat attack and the slow piano theme when the cat came in.
- Bones - When Professor Oldman follows the lady ghost through the cave similar to the scene on Bones
- Twister - Cindy creating a tornado indoors.
- The Amityville Horror - The scene where the priest is covered with flies during the exorcism.
- Cast Away - Shorty has a volleyball with a painted face on it, in the deleted scenes.
- Scary Movie - The scene with Cindy masturbating Buddy and he ejaculates with a great amount of force and quantity launching Cindy into the door. The last scene with Shorty and the ghost is similar to the opening scene in Scary Movie.
- The Weakest Link - The parrot says "You are the weakest link, goodbye" after Alex falls unconscious.
- Dude, Where's My Car? - The tattoo scene with instead of "Dude" and "Sweet", it's "Ray" and "fucked me".
- Rocky - Cindy boxing the black cat in slow motion.
- The Wizard of Oz - The tornado during the "Charlie's Angels" parody.
- Charmed - The scene at the end when the poltergeist is "vanquished" is reminiscent to the many vanquishes the sisters do.
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show - with Tim Curry (who portrayed Dr. Frank N. Furter) as the Professor, Hanson resembles Riff Raff, and Dwight is confined to a wheelchair (Dr. Scott)
- Dirty Harry- The quote "Do you feel lucky punk?"
- Save the Last Dance - Shorty shows Cindy how to be cool
- Wild Wild West - When Hanson and Dwight exchange insults, in the form of puns, this parodies the exchanges between West and Loveless.
- It - "It" is written in blood on the wall of the root cellar where Shorty is hiding. Also the professor plays Pennywise the clown in "It"
- Mission: Impossible II - Dwight's wheelchair duel with the ghost mimics the motorcycle chase from M:I-2. During the duel, a flock of doves flies between the combatants, parodying John Woo's signature shown in many of his movies.
- Nightmare on Elm Street - The map to get them to Hell House, references turning on Elm Street and the scene where Alex is being dragged against the wall and up the ceiling mirrors Tina's death of that film.
- A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors- The skeleton that chased Cindy.
- Fatal Attraction - Alex's unhealthy obsession with the ghost.
- Little Shop of Horrors- When Shorty's plant cracks out of its pot.
- The Terminator - When the skeleton is chasing Cindy is similar to when Sarah Connor is being chased by the terminator in endoskelton mode
- Friday the 13th - The character Megan Voorhees shares the same last name as Pamela, the killer from the first movie in the Friday the 13th series, and her son Jason, from the rest of the series.
- Titanic - When Buddy and Cindy are locked in the freezer, Cindy said the same words that Jack said to Rose when they were in the cold water. "Don't say your goodbyes, you're not gonna die here. You're gonna die an old man but not here" and "Coming to this house was the best thing that ever happened to me."
- There's Something About Mary - The sign on the back of the bus which reads:
How Am I Driving?
1-800-Kiss My Ass
- Thir13en Ghosts - The scene with the glasses where if you put them on you can see the dead.
- MacGyver - When Cindy and Buddy are trapped in the freezer, Cindy makes a bulldozer out of packing tape, aluminum foil, etc...
- Charlie's Angels - When Cindy is fighting Hanson at the end of the film, she calls out the names of kung-fu styles, like Dylan (Drew Barrymore) does when escaping from Eric and Vivian.
In the U.S., the film grossed $71
,308,997. Worldwide, it grossed $141,220,678. Although being a hit, out of the four Scary Movie
films, this is the least successful to date.
Despite it's box office success, it was was not as well received by critics achieving a rotten 13% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and a generally negative score of 29% on Metacritic .
Production companies & distributors
- French: Scary Movie 2 (France), Film de Peur 2 (French Canada)
- Portuguese: (Portugal) Um susto de Filme; (Brazil) "Todo Mundo Em Pânico 2"
- Greek: Τρομακτική ταινία 2
- Polish: Straszny Film 2
- Spanish: "No Es Otra Tonta Película De Miedo 2"
- Romanian: "Comedie de groazã 2"
- Hungarian: Horrorra akadva
- Russian: "Очень страшное кино 2" (Very Scary Movie 2)
- Albanian: Filmi i Frikshëm 2
- Armenian: "Շատ սարսափելի ֆիլմ 2" (Very Scary Movie 2)
- Lithuanian: "Pats Baisiausias Filmas 2"