is a small village
and civil parish
in the Bolsover district
. It is sometimes called Scarcliffe with Palterton
About two miles
SSE of Bolsover
, the village's main street is the B6417 road between Clowne
and New Houghton, which connects at Scarcliffe to the A617
. Other nearby settlements include Clay Cross
, North Wingfield
Scarcliffe is within a few miles of Junction 29 of the M1 motorway.
Palterton is a hamlet within the parish, one mile to the west of the main village. In the early 20th century it had both a school and a post office.
To the east of the main village are two areas of woodland, Langwith Wood and Roseland Wood.
The village has its own primary school
, which takes children between the ages of four and eleven and has some eighty places. There are two pubs
('The Elm Tree' and 'The Horse and Groom'), but no shop.
The most notable building is the Norman parish church
of St Leonard
, which is a Grade II starred listed building
. It contains a handsome marble monument, dating to the 13th century, of a Lady Constantia, who holds a child in her arms. A stone tympanum
over an ancient door is carved with geometrical patterns, and there is a medieval piscina
. The oak parish chest is almost ten feet long. The church tower
is fairly modern, having been added in the 1830s. In the 21st century, the church has increased its peal of bells
from five to eight.
The Scarcliffe ecclesiastical parish includes Scarcliffe, Palterton and Hillstown. Scarcliffe now forms a united benefice with Ault Hucknall, Astwith, Bramley Vale, Doe Lea, Glapwell, Hardwick Hall, Stainsby, Rowthorne, and Hardstoft.
The village was part of the ancient hundred
of Scarsdale. Before the Dissolution of the Monasteries
the church was held by Darley Abbey
, later becoming a vicarage
in the gift of the Dukes of Devonshire
, major landowners in the area. The 13th century resident Lady Constantia (whose monument is in the church) left five acres
of land to provide for the ringing
of the church's curfew bell for three weeks on either side of Christmas in perpetuity. After some eight hundred years, the 'Bellrope Charity' continues to serve its founder's purpose.
The surviving parish registers date from 1680.
The village school was built in 1868-1869. It was established opposite the former Primitive Methodist church, which had been founded in 1858 but is now gone.
John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-1872) says -
SCARCLIFF, a parish, with a village, in the district of Mansfield and county of Derby; 6 miles N N W of Mansfield r. station. Post-town, Mansfield. Acres, 3,674. Real property, £3,790. Pop., 548. Houses, 126. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £70. Patron, Earl Bathurst. The church is ancient but good, and has a tower of 1842. There are an endowed school, and charities £30.
At Palterton in the parish, there was a station of the Midland Railway, which was opened in 1890.
In the early 20th century, the main landowner was the 7th Earl Bathurst.
The soil is predominantly limestone
and the subsoil limestone and clay.
Scarcliffe has its own elected parish council
. While this has few powers, it is consulted on all decisions affecting the village by Derbyshire County Council and Bolsover District Council
, which together provide most of the local government services. Before a reorganization in 1974, Scarcliffe was part of the Blackwell Rural District
The village is in the parliamentary constituency
of North East Derbyshire
and elects its MEPs
as part of the East Midlands