is an American post-rock
band consisting of members from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
and Brooklyn, New York
. The group has thus far released four albums on Burnt Toast Vinyl
: one packaged as an EP (Luck Will Not Save Us...
) and three as full-lengths, although all (with the exception of The Exquisite Death of...
) have only featured anywhere from five to seven songs.
According to the website, the band is in the process of writing and recording the follow-up to The Exquisite Death.
Saxon Shore's overall sound has been compared to Caspian, The Samuel Jackson Five, Boards of Canada, God is an Astronaut, and labelmates Yndi Halda.
formed in 2001 as the joint project of guitarist Matthew Doty and drummer Josh Tillman. The two wrote several songs that, in time, were recorded for the duo's debut album Be a Bright Blue
, released on Doty's very own imprint, Broken Factory Records. Tillman's brother Zach was recruited for bass duties during the studio process and found himself being a full-fledged member.
After a host of tours across the United States (in which the band recruited three separate bassists), Doty moved to Seattle and later exchanged four-tracks with Josh Tillman, who was living in upstate New York at the time. Studio time reserved in Atlanta eventually blossomed into their next effort, Four Months of Darkness. Traveling musician Matt Stone contributing on guitar and like Zach before him, joined, making the group a four-piece. The album marked a change in Saxon Shore's sound from the light indie pop of Be a Bright Blue to the more melodic Four Months.
- Josh Tillman – Drums (2001–2004)
- Zach Tillman – Bass guitar (2002–2004)
- Justin Saxby – Bass guitar (summer 2003)
- Bethany Olson – Keyboards (winter 2003)
- Joel Votaw – Bass guitar (spring-summer 2003)
- Erin Berkey – Keyboards, bells (summer 2002)
- Jesse Pierce – Bass guitar (winter 2002)
- 2002: Be a Bright Blue – full-length (Broken Factory Records)
- 2003: Four Months of Darkness – full-length (Burnt Toast Vinyl)
- 2005: Be a Bright Blue (Digipak re-release) – full-length (Burnt Toast Vinyl)
- 2005: Luck Will Not Save Us From a Jackpot of Nothing – EP (Burnt Toast Vinyl)
- 2005: The Exquisite Death of Saxon Shore – full-length/LP (Burnt Toast Vinyl)
- 2008: It Doesn't Matter – full-length/LP (Forthcoming - No Label As Yet)
Stone and Stichter, together with Will's brother Mike and friend Stephen Hoffmann, have released two ambient/downtempo albums on Burnt Toast Vinyl under the name of Soporus
. Doty and Chapoy are currently making plans to put out music as Brightest Feathers
, having already remixed songs by Caroline
. Lastly, General
is the moniker which drummer Roessner performs under; the song "Men (They Get Pregnant)" was originally by his previous band, The Downtown Screamers.