The Sauerländer Heimatbund (Rough translation: Sauerland home federation) is one of many non-profit NGOs in Germany to adhere and honour the cultural roots, heritage and traditions of the specific Sauerland area. The Sauerland home federation is the organisation for the Sauerland area. It was founded in the year 1921 in Wennemen.
Like all the other organsitations with this purpose it was founded because of the horrible experiences of the first world war
. The organisation was founded by the roman-catholic priest Franz Hoffmeister
as a community of traditional students. During the third Reich
the activities were interrupted. The specific aspects of Heimat — love and attachment to homeland and the rejection of anything foreign — left the idea vulnerable to easy assimilation into the fascist "blood and soil" literature of the National Socialists
3.000 members are united. The registered voluntary association
was founded to retain the traditions of the Sauerland area. As in all other German associations an annual meeting is compulsive. In the 21st century annual meetings were held in Balve
(2004) , Meschede
In german language
- Landeskundliche Schriftenreihe für das kurkölnische Sauerland. Darin u.a.:
- Helmut Müller (Bearb.): Die Urkunden des Klosters Bredelar. Fredeburg, 1994.
- Manfred Wolf (Bearb.) : Die Urkunden des Klosters Oelinghausen : Regesten. Fredeburg, 1992
- Sauerland : Zeitschrift des Sauerländer Heimatbundes
- Erika Richter: 75 Jahre Sauerländer Heimatbund. In: Sauerland 29/1996. S.123-159
- Dieter Wurm: 85 Jahre Sauerländer Heimatbund. In: Sauerland 3/2006. S.107
- Sauerland, Zeitschrift des Sauerländer Heimatbundes, Publisher: Sauerländer Heimatbund