Originally a West Slavic settlement, the village was first mentioned in 1261 as Torbarmstorp, a possession of the Knights Templar. By 1335 it was known as Tzorbensdorf in the Neumark region of the Margraviate of Brandenburg. In 1540 it fell to John, Margrave of Brandenburg-Küstrin. It was the scene of the Battle of Zorndorf, in which the Prussians under Frederick the Great fought the Russians commanded by Wilhelm Fermor, on August 25, 1758. The inconclusive contest was one of the bloodiest battles of the Seven Years' War. Zorndorf became part of the Province of Brandenburg in 1815 and the German Empire in 1871. It passed to Poland in 1945 according to the post-World War II Potsdam Conference.