is a hill station
town in the Dang District
state in India
This picturesque hill station is perched on a plateau in the Dang forest area of the Sahyadri
Range. At an altitude of about 1000 m. It has a cool bracing climate, the highest temperature even in the summer do not exceed 28 °C.
Saputara means the 'Abode of Serpents' and a snake image on the banks of the river Sarpagana is worshiped by the Adivasis
on festivals like Holi
Saputara has been developed as a planned hill resort with all the necessary amenities like hotels, parks, swimming pools, boat club, theaters, ropeways and a museum to ensure an enjoyable holiday in the cool of the hill. Saputara is only 172 km. from Surat and 80 km. from Nashik. Maharashtra state border is only 4 km away from Saputara. Excursions from Saputara can be made to the wild life sanctuary in the Mahal Bardipara forest, 60 km. from here and to Gira Waterfalls 52 km away.
- Vansda National park : Originally, a private forest of maharaja of Vansada, the park now covers on area of 24 km². Despite its small size the park harbours tiger, leopard, pangolin, rusty-spotted cat, python, giant squirrel, four-horned antelope etc. Prior permission from the Chief Wildlife Warden, of Gandhinagar or DFO, Ahwa, is required before visiting the park.
- Purna Sanctuary: Covering an area of 160 km², Purna Sanctuary is a part of a dense moist deciduous forest in the Western Ghat of Gujarat. Situated at Mahal , 60 km north of Dangs, the sanctuary is crossed by Purna and Gira rivers. There are bamboo-lined pathways for trekkers. Prior permission is necessary for visiting.
- Boating: The Saputara Lake surrounded by greenery makes it pleasurable to sail in the lake in a row or paddle boat.
- Sunrise Point: It is a point which offers the best view of Saputara and adjoining Malegoan could be reached after a walk of 1.5 km in the direction of Waghai The naming restricts the tourist traffic to this best place as tourists believe that the point should only be visited at sun rise, however, one may visit it at any time of the day to catch a panoramic view. The Tata Consultancy Services has suggested renaming this point as Valley View Point to enhance tourist traffic.
- Sunset point: Gives a breathtaking view of a vast spans of Dang Forest. It provides an aerial view of distant villages in forest. This thick forest around Saputara is dotted with Adivasi (tribal) villages.
- The Ropeway: A ten minutes ride across the valley to the sunset point organised by Hotel Vaity.
- Gira falls: Makes an excellent excursion option from Saputara. Just 52 km away from Saputara the Gira Waterfalls should not be missed especially during the months of June to November.
You may pick up some trinkets like pen stands and key chains in bamboo et al from the Gandharvapur Artist Village as souvenirs and gift items from Saputara.
From Saputara you may move ahead to the wildlife sanctuary in the Mahal Bardipura forest. At a distance of 60 km from Saputara the Mahal Bardipura forest is bestowed with rivers and bamboo glades thus offering excellent walking and trekking options.
The hill resort of Saputara promises to refresh the tourists throughout the year with its cool weather. Saputara does not experience any extreme temperature variations and is an ideal getaway for the sun-scorched souls of the plains. The monsoon rains add to the magic of Saputara. Thus you may plan your trip to the Saputara hills any time of the year the best time is from middle of March to middle of November.
Accommodation is easily available at Saputara. There are few hotels in Saputara besides the cottages and the log huts that offer a comfortable stay at Saputara. For food along with the hotels there are several restaurants and wayside stalls to cater to needs of the tourists to Saputara. Even the Gujarat Tourism Corporation
runs a well-equipped station at Saputara.
If you travel south-east for 15 km and cross the Gujarat border and enter in Maharashtra, you will find a number of good restaurants who serve the Bombay style food and also alcohol.
If you drive south you can also visit Vansda which is a princely state and has a good scenic sights.
List of hotels
Saputara is 420 km from Ahmedabad
, 589 km from Bhavnagar
, 603 km from Rajkot
, 172 km from Surat
, 80 km from Nasik
, 185 km from Mumbai
Air: Mumbai is the nearest airport, 185 km away.
Rail: Nasik is also most convenient railhead, 80 km away.
Road: There is bus facility from Nasik and Surat.
Suputara - A Place for your weekend