Sangeet Natak Akademi
: संगीत नाटक अकादेमी
or, The National Academy for Music, Dance and Drama
) is the national level academy for performing arts
set up by the Government of India
It was set up by the Indian education ministry in May 31
and became functional the following year, with the appointment of its first Chairman, Dr. P. V. Rajamannar
. Dr Rajendra Prasad
, the first President of India
, inaugurated it on January 28
in a special function held in the Parliament House
. Academi's Fellowship
are considered very prestigious.
The academy functions as the apex body of the performing arts in the country in an effort to preserve and promote the vast cultural heritage of India expressed in the forms of music, dance and drama. It also works with, both, the governments and various art academies in different states and territories of the country.
- It establishes and maintains institutions and projects of national importance. Some of its prominent child institutions include
- Subsidizing the work of institutions engaged in teaching, performing or promoting music, dance, or theatre
- Gives grants to aid research, documentation and publishing in the performing arts
- Organizes and subsidizes seminars and conferences of subject specialists
- Documents and records the performing arts for its audio-visual archive.
- Renders advice and assistance to the Government of India in the task of formulating and implementing policies and programmes in the field.
- The academy also carries a part of the responsibilities of the state for fostering cultural contacts between various regions within the country, as well as between India and the world.
The academy is also an important source of information and offers the following facilities
The audio-visual archive
The academy's audio-visual archive
has several audio/video tapes, photographs and films. It is the largest archive of its kind in the country and is extensively drawn upon by the India for research on the performing arts.dance cd for kathak artistof India.
The academy maintains a reference library
consisting of about 22,000 books.
Books on several subjects including Dance, Drama, Music, Theatre, Sociology, Folklore, Tribal Studies, Indian History and Culture, Indian Art, Religion and Epics, Mythology, Anthropology and Reference works such as Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, Yearbooks, Bibliographies, Indexes and Newspaper clippings about Academy Awards and eminent artistes in the field of performing arts, can be found here.
The library also maintains data files on awardees and fellows of the academy since its inception (1953) and along with those on other eminent personalities of the field.
Gallery of musical instruments
The academy also has a museum-cum-gallery
of musical instruments in Rabindra Bhavan
, New Delhi. There are more than 200 musical instruments on display here.
It also has a documentation unit that collects and records works of masters in the field of music, dance and theatre on audio and video to help researchers. The academy also produces several in-house publications
Award and Fellowship
The academy awards are the highest national recognition given to practicing artistes. It carries a purse money is Rs. 50,000/-, a shawl and Tamrapatra
(a brass plaque).
Each year the Academy also awards Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowships, 'Ratna Sadsya', to distinguised individuals for their contribution to the field of arts, music, dance and theatre.
Ustad Bismillah Khan Yuva Puruskar
Instituted in 2006, in memory of Ustad Bismillah Khan
, this youth award is given to young artists for their talent in the fields of music, dance and drama .