The Salsette Trombay Railway
also known as the Central Salsette Tramway
was a rail service that linked Andheri
in the north with the village of Trombay
in the east, on the island of Salsette
in the city of Mumbai
(Bombay) in India
. The line was opened in 1928 by the Great Indian Peninsular Railway
under the Bombay Improvement Trust
. The line was about 12 km long with a standard gauge
heavy rail line. A couple of dozen standard gauge locos were used for these lines.
Stations on this route were: Wadavali, Mahul Road, Kurla Jn., Agra Road, Kolovery, Kole-Kalyan, Sahar, Chakala and Andheri.
During weekends, the line was frequented by picknickers who used to travel to Trombay to buy toddy or palm liquor. In 1934 the line was shut to make way for the Santacruz Airport. Most of the locomotives used were returned to England.