Saint Dominic's Preview
is an album by Northern Irish singer-songwriter Van Morrison
, released in 1972. The diversity of the material on the album highlighted the skill with which Morrison could fuse Celtic folk
and the singer-songwriter
genre. "Jackie Wilson Said (I'm in Heaven When You Smile)
" and the title track, top quality blends of Stax soul
, became staples of his live set, while lesser known tracks such as "Gypsy" and "Redwood Tree
" continued to display a lyrical celebration of nature's beauty.
Also on the album were two lengthy, hypnotic tracks, "Listen to the Lion" and the closing "Almost Independence Day" which were given primal, cathartic and intense vocal performances from Morrison. These tracks were more similar to the songs on his critically lauded 1968 song cycle Astral Weeks.
Rolling Stone Magazine declared it "the best-produced, most ambitious Van Morrison record yet released. It ranks at #36 at Rate Your Music's Top Albums of 1972.
Reissue and remastered album
In September 2008, Exile/Polydor
will release this album as part of batch three of the four catalogue reissues of Morrison's albums dated from 1971 through 2002.
It was his first album not to have love as its central theme and significantly (as his marriage was deteriorating) the cover shows Morrison looking like a gypsy troubadour out on the street.
All songs written by Van Morrison
- "Jackie Wilson Said (I'm in Heaven When You Smile)" – 2:57
- "Gypsy" – 4:36
- "I Will Be There" – 3:01
- "Listen to the Lion" – 11:07
- "Saint Dominic's Preview" – 6:23
- "Redwood Tree" – 3:03
- "Almost Independence Day" – 10:05
Bonus tracks (2008 CD reissue)
- "Redwood Tree" (alternative take)
- "Brandy" (???)
- Producers: Van Morrison, Ted Templeman
- Engineers: Donn Landee, Bob Schumaker, Jim Gains, Dave Brown, Steve Brandon
- Mixing: Donn Landee, Bob Schumaker on "Jackie Wilson Said"
- Photography: Michael Maggid
- Arrangements: Van Morrison, Tom Salisbury on "I Will Be There", "Redwood Tree" and "Saint Dominic's Preview"
- Remastering: Tim Young, Walter Samuel
||The Billboard 200
Singles - Billboard (North America)
||"Jackie Wilson Said"
- Turner, Steve (1993). Too Late to Stop Now, Viking Penguin, ISBN 0-670-85147-7
- Hinton, Brian (1997). Celtic Crossroads: The Art of Van Morrison, Sanctuary, ISBN 1-86074169X