Søgne is a municipality in the Vest-Agder county, Norway. Søgne was established as a municipality on 1 January 1838 (see formannskapsdistrikt). Greipstad was separated from Søgne on 1 July 1913.
It is a coastal municipality, with a long stretch of coastline to the south. To the east, it borders the municipality of Kristiansand, to the north and north-east Marnardal and Songdalen, and to the west Mandal.
As opposed to the other municipalities of Vest-Agder, Søgne has not gone through a municipal merger in recent times. On the contrary, Greipstad was separated from Søgne in 1913 (and in 1964 merged Finsland into Songdalen. The population of Søgne is approx. 9500 (in 2004).
The municipality (originally the parish) is named after the old Søgne
farm (Old Norse Sygna
), since the first church was built there. The farm is named after the river Sygna
) and the name of the river is derived from the verb súga
which means "suck".
is from modern times. They were granted on 24 May 1985. The arms show two typical road signs (varder
), made of stones, which in historical times were used to mark the paths and tracks. Two of the largest of these signs are found in the municipality, and were already mentioned in the early 17th century. According to legend, they were already built by King Olaf II of Norway (Heilag-Olav)
, in the 11th century.