Royal Roads Military College (RRMC) was a Canadian military college (1940 to 1995) located in Hatley Park, Colwood, British Columbia near Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. The facility is currently being used as the campus for Royal Roads University, a public university that offers applied and professional academic programs. The centrepiece of the campus is Hatley Castle, constructed in the early part of the 20th century by B.C. coal baron James Dunsmuir for his wife, Laura. The house had been purchased as a wartime residence for the King, Queen, and their daughters.
The gentlemen cadets of RRMC were not only required to excel in their respective academic fields, but to achieve the standard in the three other components as well, the Second Language Training component, Physical Fitness component and the Military component. Failure in any of these four components resulted in the officer cadet not being awarded the coveted RRMC degree.
In February 1994, after the end of the Cold War and under the pressure of massive spending cuts from the Government of Canada, the Department of National Defence announced that it was would be closing Royal Roads Military College, along with the Le Collège militaire royal de Saint-Jean (CMR) in St-Jean Sur Richelieu. CMR however was retained as an educational institution for lady and gentlemen cadets, as a preparatory college for certain cadets before proceeding to the Royal Military College Kingston. The final class graduated in May 1995.
Hatley Park and former Royal Roads Military College was declared a National Historic Site of Canada in 1995 to commemorate the Dunsmuir family (1908-1937) and RRMC (1940-1995). The site was plaqued in 2000 as a Canadian example of an Edwardian park, with gardens, which remains practically intact. HMCS Royal Roads is a Canadian naval training centre commissioned on 13 December 1940. This was the first of a series of related institutions to be set up by the Department of National Defence at Hatley Park in Esquimalt, British Columbia.
Designed to support Canada's naval war effort, it was operated as an Officer Training Establishment until October 1942. Many of the 600 volunteer reserve officers who underwent training during this time served in the Battle of the Atlantic. The HMCS Royal Roads was used to train short-term probationary Royal Canadian Navy Volunteer Reserve (RCNVR) sub-lieutenants to serve in World War II.
The name Royal Roads was drawn from geography. The name refers to an anchorage located in Juan de Fuca Strait between the city of Victoria, British Columbia and Albert Bay. The HMCS Royal Roads was located on a property originally purchased by James Dunsmuir in 1902. Dunsmuir was a former British Columbian Premier and Lieutenant-Governor. The Hatley Park Estate originally comprised 650 acres. The Dunsmuir family added Hatley Castle, which was completed in 1908. The Canadian Department of National Defence purchased Hatley Park, almost in its entirety, in 1940, for $75,000. This sum was roughly the value of the fence surrounding the property.
As Executive Officer, Commander Reginald Amand (Jumbo) Webber D.S.C., C.D. served there till late 1942. On June 21, 1995, after negotiations with the Department of National Defence and the Government of British Columbia, the British Columbia government passed the Royal Roads University Act, creating Royal Roads University. The campus is currently leased from the federal government under a $1, 50-year lease agreement with Royal Roads University which was announced in 2001. The Department of National Defence leases approximately 55 hectares of land for the campus to Royal Roads University, and has entered into a five-year Renewable Management Agreement with the University for the maintenance of the remaining 175 hectares of property owned by the Department of National Defence.
|1921||The Canadian Government purchased the land for Royal Roads to reestablish the Naval college|
|1942||The Royal Canadian Naval College was established to train marine and naval officers.|
|1946||The Royal Canadian Navy and Royal Canadian Air Force College offered the first two years of university-level programs to Royal Canadian Air Force and Navy officers|
|1947||The Canadian Services College Royal Roads offered the first two years of university- level programs to army, navy and air force officers.|
|1950||The Old Brigade, alumni celebrating 50 + years since they entered one of the military colleges, are inducted.|
|1956||Red tunics reintroduced|
|1968||Royal Roads Military College (RRMC) offered the first two years of university-level programs to Royal Canadian Air Force and Navy officers.|
|1975||The Royal Roads Military College Degrees Act was passed by the Government of British Columbia, allowing the Royal Roads Military College to grant degrees.|
|1984||The first female cadet enrolled at RRMC creating a slight shift culturally in the Canadian Military Colleges, as well as in the CF as a whole.|
|Hatley Castle||1908||administrative centre of Royal Roads University. From 1941 until 1943 when Grant Block was completed, the Castle served as dormitory and mess hall for cadets and staff officers at RRMC. Registry of Historic Places of Canada|
|Mews Conference Centre||1912||James Dunsmuir's stables and garage later converted to classrooms, dormitory, social centre and conference centre. Registry of Historic Places of Canada|
|Cedar Building||1900s||The original Tudor-style dairy and cattle barns were converted into laboratories and classrooms for physics and oceanography. The building was refurbished in 1998 into research and computer laboratories|
|Arbutus Building||academic classrooms, administrative offices, a computer lab, and a canteen|
|Gate House||(or White House) an administrative centre|
|Millward Wing (of the Nixon Building)||1991||Offices, dormitories, named for former Commandant Air Vice Marshall James Bert Millward DFC (Bar), GdG(F), CD, RCAF 1949-52 the 4th Commandant of RRMC.|
|Nixon Building||1991||classrooms, dormitories named after the former Commanding Officer Nixon of the Royal Naval College of Canada, when it was re-established in Esquimalt, British Columbia in 1918. *Registry of Historic Places of Canada|
|Grant Building||1943||main academic building, laboratories, cafeteria, and offices named for first Commanding Officer of HMCS Royal Roads, Captain John Moreau Grant. The building was recently renovated. Registry of Historic Places of Canada|
|Boat House||1989||boat house|
|Swimming pool||1959||two-storey, white concrete building composed of horizontal cubic volumes Registry of Historic Places of Canada|
|sports complex||1942 - 1957||gymnasium, weight room, fitness studio, squash courts, outdoor tennis courts *Registry of Historic Places of Canada|
Hatley Castle is home to the Royal Roads Military College Museum.
The museum is located in Hatley Castle, on the campus of the Royal Roads University and former campus of the Royal Roads Military College of Canada. The Museum mandate is to collect, conserve, research and display material relating to the history of the Royal Roads Military College, its former cadets and its site.
The Royal Roads Military College Museum is a member of the Canadian Museums Association and the Organization of Military Museums of Canada Inc. The Royal Roads Museum is an accredited museum within the Canadian Forces Museum System. The museum has formed a cooperating association of friends of the museum to assist with projects.
|blanket toss||blanket toss of senior class members after the last waltz at the Graduation Ball|
|ceremonial mace||Symbolizes the authority of the college, as granted in the name of the Sovereign (currently Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II). When carried into the ceremony and placed on stage, the mace signals the opening of the convocation.|
|'change of command ceremony'||The former commandant offers farewell and best wishes to the college and to the new Commandant. The new commandant accepts a first salute as the cadet wing marches past.|
|college Toast (honor)||RRMC club toast to absent comrades meaning those who have fallen in action or who had died|
|colours||After the last parade of RRMC in spring 1995, the Colours were deposited into the care of Christ Church Cathedral in -||Feux de Joie||an [[honour guard perform a rifle salute with field artillery, or more commonly, rifles using blank ammunition.|
|Ghost Stories||B.C. Society of Paranormal Investigation and Research into the Supernatural have investigates stories of paranormal activity in and around Hatley Castle|
|Graduation and Commissioning Parade||in honour of graduating cadets:|
|Jacket exchange||RRMC Director of Cadets exchanges tunics with I Year Officer Cadet at RRMC Christmas Dinner.|
|Just Passing By||When a graduate of the RRMC pilots an aircraft in the vicinity of Victoria, British Columbia he or she conducts an impromptu airshow over the College.|
|March||Hatley Park; Going Home|
|obstacle course race||gruelling course for recruits set up by the cadets' immediate predecessors|
|Old Brigade||Alumni who entered military college 50+ years before wear unique berets and ties, have the Right of the Line on reunion weekend memorial parades, and present the College cap badge to the First Year cadets on the First Year Badging Parade. Each class traditionally marks its 50-year anniversary and entry into the Old Brigade with a gift.|
|sweetheart broach||officer cadets gave their dates an enamel brooch in lieu of a corsage for formal dances at Christmas, and Graduation.|
|white peacock||Blue Indian peafowl have lived free on the college grounds since the 1960s. Albert, a rare white peacock resident since RRMC days, died in 2003.|
|Group Commander Avant DSO, DFC, CD, RCAF||1960-63||8th Commandant, RRMC|
|7264||Colonel Ross K Betts CD CF (RMC 1967)||1987-89||17th Commandant, RRMC|
|9318||Captain(N) (ret`d) David B Bindernagel CD (RRMC RMC 1972)||1994-1995||10th Commandant, RRMC|
|8241||Lieutenant-General (ret`d) Vaughan Michael Caines, A de C, CF (CMR/RMC 1970) CMM, CD||1991-94||19th Commandant, RRMC; Chair of the DND/CF Ombudsman Advisory Committee|
|2444||Captain John A. Charles, CMM, CD RCN (RMC 1935)||1954-1957||6th Commandant, RRMC|
|Colonel Cooper OBE, CD, L Edmin R||1957-60||7th Commandant, RRMC|
|Captain Creery, CBE, CD, RCN||1946-48||2nd Commandant, RRMC|
|Capt(N) Draper CD CF||1983-84||15th Commandant, RRMC|
|6440||Captain(N) Tony AJ Goode CD CF ((Royal Military College Saint-Jean/RMC 1965)||1984-87||16th Commandant, RRMC|
|Captain Creery CBE, CD RCN||1946-48||2nd Commandant, RRMC|
|2576||Captain William P Hayes CD, RCN(RMC 1937)||1963-65||9th Commandant, RRMC|
|Captain John Moreau Grant, CBE||1940-42, 42-46||First Commanding Officer of HMCS Royal Roads, Grant Building was named in his honour.|
|RRA18||Colonel Kenneth E. Lewis CMM, CD CF (RRMC ‘47)||1968-70||11th Commandant, RRMC|
|3912||Colonel George L. Logan CD CF (RHC)(RRMC/RMC ‘57)||1979-83||14th Commandant, RRMC|
|Air Vice Marshall James Bert Millward DFC (Bar), GdG(F), CD, RCAF||1949-52||4th Commandant, RRMC|
|8335||Colonel Claude JEC Naud CD A de C. CF (CMR/RMC 1970)||1989-91||18th Commandant, RRMC|
|Capt(N) Peers CD CF||1979076||12th Commandant, RRMC|
|Captain Rayner, DSC, CD, RCN||1948-49||3rd Commandant, RRMC|
|Colonel Roddick CD, Canadian Forces}CF||1976-79||13th Commandant, RRMC|
|2253||Major General Cameron Bethel Ware DSO, CD, PPCLI (RMC 1931)||1952-54||5th Commandant, RRMC|
|Group Captain Wurtele, CD, RCAF||1965-68||10th Commandant, RRMC|
|3237 Doctor John J.S. Mothersill (RMC 1954)||1984-95|
Royal Roads Military College is prestigious and has had many notable alumni (Shown with college numbers).
|14008||Mr Alan Cumyn||RRMC 1983||Canadian novelist|
|3528||General (Ret) Paul David Manson O.C., CMM, CD, B.Sc., D.M.S.||RRMC 1956||military leader, business executive and volunteer; former Chief of Defence Staff|
|7344||Robert Brown||RRMC RMC 1967||Businessperson, philanthropist|
|13738||Colonel (Ret'd) Chris Hadfield||RRMC/RMC 1982||Astronaut|
|Mr. Kasper, 3rd Session, 35th Parliament, Legislative Assembly of British Columbia|