The Royal Military Academy
) at Woolwich
, in south-east London
, was a British Army military academy
for the training of commissioned officers
of the Royal Artillery
and Royal Engineers
. It later also trained officers of the Royal Corps of Signals
and other technical corps
The RMA was founded in 1741. It was intended to provide an education and produce "good officers of Artillery and perfect Engineers". RMA Woolwich was commonly known as "The Shop" because its first building was a converted workshop of the Woolwich Arsenal.
Notable teachers at Woolwich included Frederick Augustus Abel, Peter Barlow, Samuel Hunter Christie, Adair Crawford, Percy MacMahon, Paul Sandby and James Joseph Sylvester.
A second academy, known as the Royal Military College (RMC), was opened at Sandhurst, Berkshire in 1799 to train officers for the infantry and cavalry.
Both were closed at the start of the Second World War in 1939. The Royal Military Academy Sandhurst opened in 1947 as an amalgamation of both institutions.
The Royal Military Academy Sandhurst Collection contains displays the history of the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich, The Royal Military College and the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst. The collection includes the Royal Military Academy's gentlemen cadet registers, historic archive, uniforms, paintings, photographs and other artifacts. Visits are by appointment only. There is also an Army Museum.