Its antecedents can be traced back to 1880; its third Honorary Secretary, from 1893, was Arthur Quiller-Couch, who became Sir Arthur. The minutes and descriptions of Yacht races, up to 1897 are in his handwriting.
In 1905 permission was granted for the Club to include in its insignia the Coronet of the Duke of Cornwall over the Shield of the Duchy of Cornwall and in 1907 the King approved the use of the prefix "Royal" in the name of the Club.
Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch filled this post of Commodore from 1911 until 1944 when he was succeeded by General Sir Frederick Browning, who upon retirement in 1962, was elected the Club's first Admiral.
Grandfather Pays Price of Tackling Yobs; Man, 64, Fights for His Life after Challenging Vandals over Smashed Glass
Jan 27, 2004; Byline: JAMES MILLS;MATTHEW BAYLEY A MAN who confronted two drunken yobs was fighting for his life last night after they attacked...