Theodore Roosevelt Intermediate School
("Roosevelt" or "RIS", formerly "RJHS") is a middle school in Westfield
, New Jersey
, USA. It was built in 1926, as part of the Westfield Public Schools
. It was awarded the Blue Ribbon School Award of Excellence
by the United States Department of Education
, the highest award an American school can receive, during the 2004-05 school year.
RIS has five main academic courses:
- Foreign Language (choice between Spanish or French) but if you take supplemental you do not have to take a world language.
- Social Studies
- Language Arts
There are also three elective periods, as follows:
- 1 marking period each of Technology and Computers and 2 marking periods of Art
- 3 marking periods of Physical Education and 1 marking period of Health
- 4 marking period of music class*
- 1 marking period each of Health and Woodshop, and 2 marking periods of Art
- 4 marking periods of Physical Education
- 4 marking periods of music class*
Students take 3 mandatory marking periods of Physical Education and 1 mandatory marking period of Health, and choose enough of the following courses to add up to 8 more marking periods.
- Band- 4 marking periods
- Chorus- 4 marking periods
- Orchestra- 4 marking periods
- Fine Arts- 2 marking periods
- Arts & Crafts- 2 marking periods
- Journalism- 2 marking periods
- Woodshop- 2 marking periods
- Small Engines- 2 marking periods
- Drama- 2 marking periods
- Graphic Design- 2 marking periods
- Project Technology- 2 marking periods
*Students choose between Band, Chorus, or Orchestra. Some students qualify to take a supplemental study hall instead of music.
- Roosevelt Intermediate School also has many extra carricular activities and clubs. They have a great program for the arts. In the spring of 2008 they put on the show Footloose!