(b. 13 January
) is a French choreographer
and dancer born in Villemomble near Paris, France
. He trained at the Paris Opéra
ballet school, and became well known for his creative ballets
, which include:
- Le jeune homme et la mort (English: The Young Man and Death, 1946),
- Les forains (English: The Traveling Players, 1948),
- Carmen (1949),
- Le loup (English: The Wolf, 1953),
- Notre-Dame de Paris (1965),
- Paradise Lost (1967),
- Les amours de Frantz (English: The Loves of Frantz, 1981).
He married Zizi Jeanmaire in 1954, a performer in a number of his works. His memoirs were published in 1993, J'ai dansé sur les flots (English: I Danced on the Waves).
In 1947 his mother, Rose Repetto, founded the world-known ballet shoe company, Repetto.