The current estimated population is around 8,800 (as of 2001).
It was first mentioned in historical documents in the 12th century. Its name seems to be derived from Ruthenia, name of the region of location. In 1415, under Polish rule, it was granted the Magdeburg rights, and subsequently developed into an important trading and manufacturing town. In 1520 Roxolana, a native of Rohatyn, was captured there by the Tatars and sold to the Turkish sultan. In the 16th century a renowned school of icon painting arose in Rohatyn, and in the 1580s an Orthodox brotherhood was founded obtaining the stauropegion (a monastery exempt from the control of the local bishop) status. After the First Partition of Poland in 1772, Rohatyn was annexed by Austria, and became a county center. A Ukrainian gymnasium was established there in 1909, and a minor theological seminary in 1931. During the interwar period the town was under Polish rule. In 1939 it became part of Soviet Ukraine and was grated city status. Today it is an important highway junction; 26 percent of its inhabitants work in the transportation industry.
Felix Rohatyn: taking the measure of today's boards; investment banker, corporate director, municipal savior, United States Ambassador... Felix Rohatyn has counseled the powerful and provided powerful counsel for 40-plus years and counting. (Interview).(Interview)
Mar 22, 2003; INTERVIEW BY HOFFER KABACK FELIX G. Rohatyn was appointed by President Clinton in 1996 to be U.S. Ambassador to France, a...