Reutlingen is a city in southern Baden-Württemberg, Germany. It is the capital of the eponymous district of Reutlingen. As of April 2008, it has a population of 109,828.
Reutlingen has a university of applied sciences, which was founded in 1855, originally as a weaver's school. Today Reutlingen is home to an established textile industry and also houses machinery, leather goods and steel manufacturing facilities.
Reutlingen lies in the Southwest corner of Germany, near Stuttgart. Reutlingen lies right next to the Swabian Jura
, hence why it is often called The gate to the Swabian Jura
(Das Tor zur Schwäbischen Alb).
The first settlements in the area are believed to date from the 4th or 5th century.
Some time around 1030, Count Egino started to build a castle on top of the Achalm
, one of the largest mountains in Reutlingen district (about 706 m). One of the towers of this castle still stands today and is open for visitors.
The name Reutlingen
was first mentioned in writing in the so-called Bempflingen Treaty
(Bempflinger Vertrag) which is dated approximately 1089–90.
Around 1180, Reutlingen received market rights and, between 1220 and 1240 it was promoted to city status and city-walls and fortifications were built. Shortly thereafter, from 1247–1343, the town's landmark, the St. Mary's Church (Marienkirche) was built.
Reutlingen became an Imperial City of the Holy Roman Empire, freeing from allegiance to the Duke of Württemberg.
Reutlingen's city council signed the Augsburg Confession in 1530 and the Formula of Concord in 1580, key documents of Lutheranism.
The largest disaster in the history of Reutlingen happened in 1726, when a large fire swept through the city, destroying 80% of all residential houses and almost all public buildings, making 1,200 families homeless. The impact of this fire, which lasted three days, can be seen in various spots throughout the city until today.
In 1803, in the wake of the French Revolutionary Wars, Reutlingen lost its independence in the German Mediatisation, being restored to Württemberg.
During World War II, parts of the "V1 Vergeltungswaffe" or "Vengeance Weapon" (wings) were manufactured in Reutlingen and the city became the target of several allied Bombing Raids.
General Ferdinand Heim, later to be noted as the "Scapegoat of Stalingrad" was born in Reutlingen.
- Church of the Virgin Mary, built in Gothic style in the 13th–14th centuries. In the nearby is a statue of emperor Frederick II.
- Marktbrunnen ("Market Fountain", 16th century), surmounted by the statue of emperor Maximilian II.
- Spitalhof, built as a hospital in the 14th century. Damaged by a fire, it was largely rebuilt in the 18th century.
- Church of St. Nicholas, built in the 14th century as a chapel.
- Gerber- und Färberbrunnen ("Tanners' and Dyers' Fountain"), 1920
- City Hall 1966
is a university of applied sciences. Their method of hands on learning is apparent in their mandatory internship for all business majors. Reutlingen University
is an internationally friendly school with 111 cooperative campuses worldwide. Also, classes are generally taught in German; however, in the Master's program classes are taught in English.
- Aarau, Aargau, Switzerland, since 1986
- Bouaké, Bouaké, Côte d'Ivoire, since 1970
- Dushanbe, Tajikistan, since 1990
- Ellesmere Port and Neston, Cheshire, United Kingdom, since 1966
- Pirna, Saxony, Germany
- Reading, Pennsylvania, United States, since 1998
- Roanne, Loire, France, since 1958
- Szolnok, Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok, Hungary, since 1990