Red Giant Software was founded in 2002 by industry veterans to develop and distribute special effects tools for digital video & film professionals.
The company sells Digital Video Plug-ins for famous Compositing Software and NLEs such as Adobe After Effects, Apple Final Cut Pro, and Adobe Premiere.
Two of their most famous products are the Magic Bullet Suite (a plug-in for After Effects made to make digital video look more like film) and Knoll Light Factory (A plug-in containing lights and sparks effect for digital video).
The Plug-ins Red Giant sells have been used in 1000's of feature films, music videos, national TV commercials & shows. These include Grindhouse, The Aviator, Day After Tomorrow, Vanilla Sky, Hellboy, Spy Kids 3D, Double Dare, Nike commercials, Good Eats, ESPN, Disney, CNN, Good Morning America, Cher videos, FooFighter videos, and MTV shows.
In 2002, Red Giant Software was founded in San Francisco, California.
Red Giant's Products are mostly plug-ins that help digital video editors make their video look more like film and they also sell products that fix up and repair images and video.
List of Products currently available to buy:
- Image Lounge 1.4 - collection of over 20 After Effects filters createa smoke, water, or walls of fire, realistic 3D shadows, simulate camera blurs
- Knoll Light Factory Pro 2.5.2 - Creates lens flares, sunsets, photon torpedoes, stars and other effects. It offers a custom lens editor, auto tracking, alpha channel support
- Radium Glow 1.0 - Simulates the way real light behaves, giving ultra-realistic glimmers and glows.
- Trapcode 3D Stroke 2.5 - uses paths from one or more masks to render volumetric strokes that can be rotated and moved freely in 3D space. It has a built-in camera to create dynamic 3D environments. Path reveals are easy to make with keyframeable start and end sliders.
- Trapcode Echo Space 1.0 - Speeds and automates the creation of sophisticated 3D layer effects in Adobe After Effects. Layer iterations can be controlled as a group or individually for sophisticated 'house-of-cards' or 'Cover Flow'-style animations.
- Trapcode Form 1.0 - Creates flame, smoke and other organic 3D shapes — and then synchronize it with audio.
- Trapcode Horizon 1.0 - Create ultra-realistic environments by using Trapcode Horizon to wrap sphere maps, panoramas or video around the After Effects world.
- Trapcode Lux 1.0 - Simulates the "visible light" phenomenon of light in a dark or foggy environment. Use Lux to create incredibly realistic visible light sources for spotlights, flashlights, headlights, or stage lighting of all kinds.
- Trapcode Particular 1.5 - Creates natural smoke, explosions, geometric or organic abstract elements.
- Trapcode Shine - Shine is a 2D plug-in that simulates 3D volumetric light effects within your editor. TV and movie pros use it daily to create light rays that sweep through logotypes or any kind of footage.
- Trapcode Sound Keys - Sound Keys is a keyframe generator plug-in for Adobe After Effects. Visually select parts of an audio track and convert that audio into keyframes. Great for audio-intensive animations.
- Trapcode Starglow
- Magic Bullet Colorista 1.0 - Color correction plug-in that works with Final Cut, After Effects, Motion, Premiere Pro, or Avid systems.
- Magic Bullet Looks 1.1 - Create looks for your film/video
- Composite Wizard 1.4 - Repairs tattered edges, removing artifacts, and fixing bad extractions.
- Key Correct Pro 1.0 - Key Correct Pro is a set of 15 plug-ins designed to help After Effects users create better composites with built-in keying tools.
- Primatte Keyer Pro 4.0 - A professional greenscreen tool that extracts keys from any color background quickly and easily. Powerful features allow Primatte Keyer to overcome keying challenges such as uneven lighting, compression artifacts, subtle shadows, and edge light contamination.
- Film Fix 1.0 - Eliminate flicker, remove dust and dirt, and stabilize jerky footage with these plug-ins.
- Magic Bullet Frames 1.0 - Take interlaced video and get the 24p look of film, right from within your editor.
- Magic Bullet Instant HD 1.1 - Conversion from SD video to HD within your favorite video application.
- Magic Bullet Instant HD Advanced 1.0 - Advanced version of InstantHD that offers sharp, motion-compensated de-interlacing and de-noising; advanced pan and scan; and a super-resolution algorithm for actual resolution enhancement.
Just recently, Red Giant Software had joined forces with Trapcode. The company plans to sell Trapcode's products in late 2007. At Motion Graphics Los Angeles' (MGLA, a Los Angeles-area association for professionals in Motion graphics) August 21 2007 meeting, Peder Norrby announced that their project codenamed Flux — briefly demonstrated at the NAB 2007 Expo — will be released as Form. The plug-in, on which work was begun in March 2007, is intended to provide After Effects animators with a completely new set of design tools for use on both Mac and PC. Form works similar to Particular (a Trapcode plug-in for generating particles) but instead of limited types of particles, "any composition" can be used as a particle. According to Norrby, in Particular, a particle "is born, and lives a while, and then dies". In contrast, Form particles "exist forever", rather than coming in a stream from an 'emitter'. As of 21 August 2007, no price has been set, according to Norrby the price should be between USD $100 and $300 when the plug-in is released in September 2007.
As of November 2007, Toolfarm became the master reseller for Red Giant Software and Trapcode.