Quincy is a station on the Chicago Transit Authority's 'L' system, located in downtown Chicago, Illinois on the Chicago Loop elevated at 220 South Wells Street (directional coordinates 220 south, 200 west). Designed by Alfred M. Hedley from wood and stamped metal, Quincy was opened on October 3, 1897, it retained much of its original decor over the years and was restored in 1988, so that it is considered one of "150 great places in Illinois" by the American Institute of Architects. The station is situated in the South Loop Financial District and is the closest CTA rail station to the Sears Tower, approximately one block west. It is also close to Union Station, the terminal for several Metra and Amtrak routes and about three blocks west of Quincy, although the Clinton station on the Blue Line is much closer.
Quincy is an elevated station, situated above Quincy Street between Adams Street and Jackson Boulevard. It features two side platforms and station houses, one on the west to serve the Outer Loop track, and one on the east to serve the Inner Loop track. Turnstiles for fare payment are located within the station houses on the platform level. The station once had a transfer bridge, but this was removed in the 1980s. This means it is not possible to change from one platform to the other without paying another fare or asking for employee assistance. There are auxiliary rotogate exits to both Adams and Jackson on the Inner Loop platform, while the Outer Loop only has an auxiliary exit to Adams. Both platforms are designed to handle eight-car trains, the longest the CTA 'L' system can run.
As of 2006, Quincy serves the Brown Line (which goes counterclockwise on the Outer Loop) and the Orange and Pink Lines (which go clockwise on the Inner Loop). During weekday rush periods, Purple Line Express trains share the Outer Loop platform with the Brown Line.
In the 1980s, Quincy was restored to an appearance much as it would have looked when it opened. Some materials, such as signage, were reproduced although several of the station's features are original to its 1897 opening. The station served as the backdrop for the music video of Lady Pank's hit "Zawsze Tam Gdzie Ty".