Queen is a station on the Yonge-University-Spadina line of the Toronto, Ontario, Canada subway. It is located at 171 Yonge Street at Queen Street West/East. It opened in 1954. Nearby landmarks include the Hudson's Bay Company, the south end of the Eaton Centre, the Old City Hall courts, Toronto City Hall, the Elgin and Winter Garden Theatres, and Massey Hall.
The station contains painted murals by John Boyle at the platform level entitled Our Nell, featuring depictions of Nellie McClung, Sir John Graves Simcoe, as well as the former Simpson's and Eaton's department stores.
Strictly speaking, it is only a roughed-out second set of platforms built underneath a currently-operating station. It is located directly underneath the existing station. The station was designed as part of a planned but never-built streetcar subway that would have run east and west along Queen Street. A similar station was planned underneath the existing Osgoode station (also situated along Queen Street). Although underground pipes and conduits were specifically routed around this intended site, construction was never started.
The trackway was planned for streetcars rather than dedicated subway trains, similar to the much newer streetcar-only underground track originating at Union Station used for the 509 Harbourfront and 510 Spadina routes. The Queen subway would have allowed streetcars from the Queen line (now route 501), King line (now route 504), Kingston Road line (now routes 502 and 503), and Dundas lines (now route 505) to avoid centre-city traffic, and then surface to run on regular streets in outlying areas.
The plan to build a streetcar subway under Queen Street was delayed and then cancelled in favour of an east-west line further north, which became the Bloor-Danforth line. As a result, the Lower Queen station was never put into service. Unlike the abandoned platform at Lower Bay, this station is not used in any way save as an occasional storage facility and film set, and the aforementioned passageway.