is the mistreatment of persons while they are under arrest or incarcerated.
Abuse falling into this category includes:
- Physical abuse: Needless beating, hitting, or other Corporal punishment.
- Psychological abuse: Taunting, sleep deprivation, or other forms of psychological abuse, occasionally white noise
- Sexual abuse: Forced intercourse, genital mutilation, or other forms of Sexual abuse.
- Other abuse: Refusal of essential medication, humiliation, etc.
- Enhanced interrogation: methods implemented in the War on Terror purportedly needed to extract information since other techniques would not yield results.
- Torture: any act by which severe pain, whether physical or psychological, is intentionally inflicted
Psychological abuse White noise
: The endless playing of random static (similar to that of unused TV frequencies) with no pattern; this can cause insanity and mental disorders. Taunting
: Needless insults and profanity to prisoners to gain a feeling of superiority by any figure of authority. Enablement of Sexual Predators
: Prisoner are sometimes purposefully housed with known rapists of other prisoners by prison guards-or protection from known rapists is purposefuly withheld. These practices create a very high incidence of rape in US prisons. This was the topic of the 2001 report No Escape
from Human Right Watch.