The confraternity was originally intended for members of the secular clergy only; but as far back as 1898 the admission of members of religious orders was authorized; and by a concession of the superior general of the Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament dated 2 November, 1902, seminarists in the United States became eligible for admission even before receiving the subdiaconate.
It was established in Paris by Pierre-Julien Eymard, founder of the Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament. Already in 1857 he had wanted to adaphis work of Eucharistic adoration as would attract the clergy. to a more intimate and constant intercourse with the sacramental Lord. It was not until 1867 that the plan of a distinct confraternity was matured.
The association assumed its mature form in 1879, received the approval of Pope Leo XIII on 25 January, 1881, and six years later, on 16 January, 1887, was definitively approved and canonically erected by Cardinal Parocchi, cardinal vicar, in the church of S. Claudio in Rome. To this church was attached the Archconfraternity of the Most Holy Sacrament, and it was the canonical centre of the Priests' Eucharistic League; but the office of the central administration of the league was at the house of the fathers of the Congregation of the Most Holy Sacrament, Brussels.
The specified works of the association were the following: