This is a list of fictional
stories in which politics
features as an important plot
element. Passing mentions are omitted from this list.
- Fables and Parables, by Ignacy Krasicki (1779).
- Coningsby, by Benjamin Disraeli (1844).
- The Possessed, by Fyodor Dostoevsky (1872).
- The Palliser Novels, by Anthony Trollope (1864-1879).
- The Way We Live Now, by Anthony Trollope (1875).
- Honest John Vane, by John William De Forest (1875).
- Democracy: An American Novel, by Henry Adams (1880).
- An Enemy of the People, play by Henrik Ibsen (1882).
- An American Politician, by F. Marion Crawford (1884).
- Pharaoh, by Bolesław Prus (1895).
- Nostromo, by Joseph Conrad (1904).
- The Secret Agent, by Joseph Conrad (1907).
- Under Western Eyes, by Joseph Conrad (1911).
- Bunt (The Revolt), by Władysław Reymont (1922).
- Kariera Nikodema Dyzmy (The Career of Nicodemus Dyzma), by Tadeusz Dołęga-Mostowicz (1932; thought to have inspired Jerzy Kosiński's 1971 novel, Being There).
- It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis (1935).
- Alamut by Vladimir Bartol (1938).
- Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler (1940).
- Animal Farm, by George Orwell (1945).
- A Bell for Adano by John Hersey (1945).
- All the King's Men, by Robert Penn Warren (1946).
- Nineteen Eighty-Four, by George Orwell (1949).
- The Last Hurrah by Edwin O'Connor (1956).
- All in the Family by Edwin O'Connor (1966).
- Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand (1957).
- Things Fall Apart, by Chinua Achebe (1958).
- Advise and Consent, by Allen Drury (1959).
- The Best Man, by Gore Vidal (play, 1960).
- Seven Days in May, by Fletcher Knebel and Charles W. Bailey (1962).
- A Man of the People, by Chinua Achebe (1966).
- The Godfather, by Mario Puzo (1969).
- Being There, by Jerzy Kosiński (1971).
- Burr, by Gore Vidal (1973).
- 1876, by Gore Vidal (1976).
- A Flag For Sunrise, by Robert Stone (1977).
- The Dead Zone, by Stephen King (1979).
- An Enemy of the State, by F. Paul Wilson (1980).
- A Very British Coup, by Chris Mullin (1982).
- V for Vendetta by Alan Moore and David Lloyd (1982-88).
- Anthills of the Savannah, by Chinua Achebe (1987).
- Favorite Son, by Steve Sohmer, (1988).
- House of Cards, by Michael Dobbs (1989?).
- The Fourth K, by Mario Puzo (1990).
- Patriots, by Steve Sohmer (1991).
- ''To Play the King, by Michael Dobbs (1991).
- Fatherland, by Robert Harris (1992).
- The Final Cut, by Michael Dobbs (1992).
- American Hero, by Larry Beinhart (1994).
- Primary Colors, by "Anonymous" (Joe Klein, 1996).
- Absolute Power, by David Baldacci (1996)
- A Time to Run, by Barbara Boxer (2005).
- The Coup, by Jamie Malanowski (2007)
- The Ghost, by Robert Harris (2007)
- When the White House Was Ours, by Porter Shreve (2008).