(born 1944) is Professor of Sociology
at the Jagiellonian University
, and Visiting Professor at the University of California, Los Angeles
Sztompka has also taught as Visiting Professor at Columbia University, the University of Michigan, Johns Hopkins University, the University of Rome, and Tischner European University.
- System and Function (Studies in Anthropology, 1974).
- Sociological Dilemmas (1979).
- Robert K. Merton: an Intellectual Profile (1986)
- The New Technological Challenge and Socialist Societies (editor, 1987).
- Rethinking Progress (with Jeffrey C. Alexander, 1990).
- Society in Action: the Theory of Social Becoming (1991).
- Sociology in Europe: in Search of Identity (with Birgitta Nedelmann, 1993).
- The Sociology of Social Change (1993).
- Agency and Structure: Reorienting Social Theory (International Studies in Global Change, vol. 4; editor, 1994).
- Robert K. Merton, On Social Structure and Science (editor, 1996).
- Trust: a Sociological Theory (1999).
- "Sztompka, Piotr (1944—)," Contemporary Authors, 2004.