is a large village
(often considered a small town
) in Wiltshire
with a population
of 3,237 people located approximately 80 miles
(130 km) west of London
. It is well connected for London, the West Country
being close to the M4 motorway
and the A303
. Also, the village is served by Pewsey railway station
on the Great Western main line
. For this reason Pewsey is popular as a location with commuters
excavations on Pewsey Hill show evidence of a settlement in the 6th century
. In the Tudor
era the Manor
of Pewsey belonged to the Duchess
. Several of the village's houses were built in this era: the timber framed cruck
house at Ball Corner, Bridge Cottage on the Avon
and the Court House by the Church.
In 1764 the founder of the Methodist movement John Wesley (1703 - 1791) preached at Pewsey Church. The rector at that time, Joseph Townsend, was responsible for building of the first bridge over the River Avon.
The Kennet and Avon Canal arrived in Pewsey in 1810. Of more significant lasting effect for the village was the arrival of the Great Western Railway in 1862 which allowed fast travel to London and to the West of Pewsey.
In 1898 Pewsey Carnival was first held, a tradition that flourishes today, a fortnight of events, including The Feaste, culminating in an Illuminated Procession in mid to late September. http://www.pewsey-carnival.org.uk/
A prominent statue of King Alfred the Great, the former Anglo Saxon King of Wessex and a local landowner, stands in the middle of the village, having been moved from its original position at Ball Corner. Although Alfred defeated the Danes in 878 AD, was a learned man and devout Christian who had travelled to Rome several times, he is usually remembered for burning cakes.
Pewsey White Horse
The Pewsey white horse hill figure
is located on a steep slope of Pewsey Hill about a mile south of the village and can be viewed from several places in the surrounding area.
Pewsey has one secondary school, Pewsey Vale School
, a specialist Arts College
- Pewsey Area Community Trust - a group of local people and organisations supported by the County, District and Parish Councils who are interested in improving the economic, social and environmental well-being of the Pewsey area. Not just Pewsey itself, but surrounding villages too. The group has its own constitution and can apply for funding from various bodies to carry out projects which will achieve the group's goals or to deliver the objectives stated in the Pewsey Community Area Plan.