PSG College of Technology
, also called PSG Tech
, is an 2000
certified institute located in Coimbatore
in the state of Tamil Nadu
. It was founded in 1951 by the Managing Trustee Sri G.R. Govindarajulu and the founder Principal Dr. G.R. Damodaran. It is named after Poolamedu Sathankulam Govindsamy Naidu (PSG). Under the leadership of Dr. G.R. Damodaran, the college nurtured the early entrepreneurs that ushered in the industrial revolution in Coimbatore
. India Today
rated it as one of the top 10 colleges of India (engineering) in 2000.
The founders located it in the same campus as the PSG Industrial Institute. Thus, today PSG College of Technology and PSG Industrial Institute are examples of industry institution interaction. PSG College of Technology is often referred to as a "teaching company" with specific reference to its Mechanical and "Sandwich" Courses that are complemented considerably by required apprenticeship at local industries (many of them run by PSG Industries).
Among the various Under-Graduate and Post-Graduate programmes offered by the college, as many as 18 programmes were accredited in the year 1997 by the National Board of Accreditation of the All India Council of Technical Education
(AICTE). The college was conferred the autonomous status by the University of Madras
in the academic year 1978-79, which is continued by the Bharathiar University
and subsequently by Anna University
. This enables the college to frame its own curricula, update syllabi and introduce new courses as and when needed. The college is empowered to administer its own evaluation system.
The current Principal of the institution is Dr.R.Rudramoorthy.
The various departments benefit from the expertise of more than 15 visiting faculty from other renowned institutions. Each department annually conducts at least one National / International Conference / Seminar / Workshop for effective dissemination of the latest technologies and research findings for the benefit of teaching faculty and the industries. On an average, five short term programmes on current topics of interest are conducted for the teaching faculty from other colleges with funding from AICTE / ISTE and other agencies.
The programmes of the college are recognized all over India and abroad. The college maintains close interaction with several R&D Institutions and institutions of higher learning in India and abroad, through institutional network programmes and collaborative research programmes. It also has close collaborative links with industries in the fields of Automotive, Aerospace, Defence, Textile, Machine Tools, Software Development and Consumer durables.
The college has consistently been ranked as a top engineering schools in India. The following are recently published rankings by major indian magazines
- Outlook Magazine Survey - Best Private Engineering College in India in 2008 - Rank 2.
- India Today - Best Engineering Schools in 2000 - Rank 8.
- DataQuest Magazine - Best engineering schools in India - Rank 8 in 2005.
- India Today - Best Engineering Schools in 2007 - Rank 10.
- Outlook Magazine Survey - Best Engineering Schools in India in 2007 - Rank 12(overall).
The infrastructure available in the institution for the pursuit of engineering education has been lauded with equal enthusiasm by alumni, prospective employers, educationists and policy makers.
Several advanced centres are set up with financial support from the Ministry of Human Resources Development, Department of Science and Technology (Govt. of India) and other agencies.
- Automobile Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Energy Engineering
- Information Technology
- Management Sciences # Mathematics and Computer Applications
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Physical Education
- Production Engineering
- Textile Technology
- Fashion Technology
- Instrumentation and Control Engineering
The advanced research laboratory and industry centers include:
- Bioinformatics Laboratory
- Genetic Engineering Laboratory
- Downstream Processing Laboratory
- Microbiology and Cell biology Laboratory
- Biomedical Engineering Laboratory
- Materials Testing Center
- CAD / CAM Center
- Multimedia Lab
- Center for Sponsored Research & Consultancy
- National Center for Jute Diversification
- Center for Non-Formal & Continuing Education
- Network Management Laboratory
- Continuing Educational Cell.
- Non-Destructive Testing Laboratory.
- Center for Rapid Prototyping and Manufacturing.
- Power Electronics Laboratory.
- Digital Signal Processing Lab.
- PSG LECTRA CAD Center.
- Educational Technology Center.
- PSG Premier Textile Testing Center.
- Engineering Design Center.
- PSG Siemens Center of Excellence in Automation.
- PSG Rockwell Center of Excellence in Industrial Automation
- ERP Center.
- PSG-Infineon Embedded Systems Laboratory
- RF Laboratory.
- Festo-PSG Center for Control Engg. And Pneumatic Automation
- School of Energy.
- Fiber Optics Laboratory.
- Sensor Laboratory.
- Fluid Research Laboratory.
- Textile CAD Center.
- GIS Laboratory.
- Thin Film Center.
- Jute Diversified Production & Training Center.
- Virtual Instrumentation Center.
- Jute Particle Board Plant.
- Virtual Reality Center.
- Laser Material Processing Center.
- VLSI Design Center.
- PROJECT IMPACT Centre (a project funded by the World Bank, Swiss Development Corporation and the Government of India).
- UNDP Jute Project Centre.
- TIFAC CORE Rapid Prototyping and Manufacturing Centre.
- Metals Testing and Research Centre.
- Industry Institute Partnership Cell and CII TDB TNET Centre.
- PSG Computer Center.
- PSG - TCS Software Engineering Lab (A project funded by Tata Consultancy Services Ltd)
- Mathematical Computing Lab.
- Multilingual Computing Lab.
- Soft Computing Lab.
- Object Computing Lab.
- DST-FIST Sponsored PDM Lab
- Center for Supply Chain Management
The college has signed MoU with research organizations and industries in order to promote closer interaction with other institutions in the areas of technology development, training of students, curriculum updating and development of the state-of-art centres.
Various departments in PSG Tech organize year long academic activities in the campus. Most of the departments organize two day national conferences every year or every second year. Seminars and summer schools are also conducted.
- Department of Automobile Engineering - National Conference on Automotive Manufacturing, (NCAM).
- Department of Biotechnology - National Symposium on Biosciences, (NSB).
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering - National Conference on Advanced Computing, (NCAC).
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering - International Conference on Global Software Developmant (ICGSD)
- Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering - National Conference on Intelligent and Efficient Electrical Systems, (NCIEES).
- Department of Electronics and communication Engineering - National Level Conference on Signals, Systems and Security, (NCSSS).
- Department of Mechanical Engineering - International Conference on Logistics and Supply Chain Management, (ILSCM); National Conference on Precision Engineering, (NCOPEN).
- Department of Mathematics and Computer Applications - National Conference on Mathematical and Computational Models, (NCMCM).
- Department of Information Technology - National Conference on Innovations in Information and Communication Technology, (NCIICT).
- Department of Production Engineering - National Conference on IT enabled Product Development, (NCIPM)
The clubs and association of the college. The students are represented by Ten office bearers who are nominated each year. The Office Bearers are Selected by an Expert Selection Committee based on Interview. All the students studying in this college are members of this Student Body. The current chairman 2008-09 is Mr.Balaji Sundaravel from the Department of Computer Science and Engineering
PSG College of Technology has always been a beehive of activity all year round, opening up opportunities for students to showcase their technical as well as cultural progress. Kriya & Equinox are the annual inter and intra college paper presentation competition. Intrams and Renaissance, the intra and inter collegiate cultural extravaganza, provide the students with the much needed break from the monotony of continuous classes.
There are several clubs based on the interests of the student community. The Students Union is head for all these clubs. The Students Union has 9 office bearers, headed by Chairman. It also has reservations for women students and diploma students. The various other clubs are
- Team Dramatix
- Rotaract Club
- Youth Red Cross Society
- Tamil Mandram
- E club
- Character & Personality and Nature Club
- English Literary Society
- Fine Arts Club
- Martial Arts Club
- Tek Music
- ISTE (Students chapter)
All these clubs co-ordinate annual, monthly events to showcase their talents.
In January 2008, the Students Union conducted the biggest inter-college technofest Kriya '08. Mr.Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia attended it to deliver a guest lecture.
Several alumni have made a mark in various industries. Well known PSG alumni include:
- Dr.Siva Thanu Pillai, DRDO, CEO and MD of BrahMos Corporation
- Shiv Nadar, the Chairman and CSO of HCL Technologies
- Mylswamy Annadurai,Project Director for Chandrayaan-1, ISRO
- Anand Chandrasekaran, entrepreneur; Co-founder of Aeroprise Inc. and recipient of 2004 MIT Global Technovators award
- Vijaya Mohan, Managing Director, Pricol
- Vishnu, Founder and CEO of Interchain Solutions, Banglore