Ottawa—Vanier (formerly known as Ottawa East) is a federal electoral district in Ontario, Canada, that has been represented in the Canadian House of Commons since 1935. Previous to that date, it was part of the Ottawa electoral district that returned two members.
It is composed of the eastern part of downtown Ottawa and the wards of Beacon Hill-Cyrville, Rideau-Rockcliffe, Rideau-Vanier.
The riding, with a large Franco-Ontarian population in Vanier, is one of the most solidly Liberal in the country, having elected Liberals both federally and provincially in every election since its creation. In fact, the previous electoral district which comprises most of the constituency, Russell, had been solidly Liberal since 1887. The riding is home to a large number of civil servants.
In the last federal election, the Liberals had mostly wide-spread support in the riding, with its best areas in Castle Heights, Cyrville, Overbrook, Forbes and parts of Vanier. The Conservatives had their support concentrated in Viscount Alexander Park, Rothwell Heights, Beacon Hill North and Rockcliffe Park. The NDP had its support concentrated in Sandy Hill, and won some polls in Lindenlea and Lower Town.
In 2003, it was redefined as the part of the City of Ottawa east and north of a line running south along the Rideau Canal from the interprovincial boundary to Mann Avenue, northeast to Nicholas Street, southeast to Highway No. 417, and east to the abandoned Canadian Pacific Railway to the hydroelectric transmission line, north to Innes Road, northeast to Blair Road, northwest to Montreal Road, east and northeast to Regional Road No. 174, northeast to Green's Creek, north to the Ottawa River.
It initially consisted of, in the city of Ottawa, Rideau, Ottawa, By, St. Georges wards and the northeast part of Riverdale Ward, the town of Eastview, and the village of Rockcliffe Park.
In 1947, it was redefined to exclude the town of Eastview. In 1952, it was redefined to consist of the village of Rockcliffe Park, and the eastern parts of the city of Ottawa. In 1966, it was redefined to include the City of Eastview and exclude the village of Rockcliffe Park.
The name of the electoral district was changed in 1973 to "Ottawa—Vanier".
In 1976, it was redefined to consist of the City of Vanier, and the eastern parts of the city of Ottawa. In 1987, it was redefined to consist of the City of Vanier, the eastern part of the city of Ottawa, part of the city of Gloucester and the Village of Rockcliffe Park. In 1996, the Ottawa and Gloucester parts of the riding were redefined.
In 2003, it was given its current boundaries that are described above.
This riding has elected the following Members of Parliament:
|Ottawa and Russell prior to 1933|
|1936 By-election||1936-1940||Joseph-Albert Pinard||Liberal|
|1995 By-election||1995-1997||Mauril Bélanger||Liberal|