| Section8 =
Octane is a straight-chain alkane with the chemical formula CH3(CH2)6CH3.
Octane has 18 structural isomers:
- Octane (n-octane)
- 3-Methylheptane (chiral)
- 2,3-Dimethylhexane (chiral)
- 2,4-Dimethylhexane (chiral)
- 3,4-Dimethylhexane (chiral, or meso compound)
- 2,2,3-Trimethylpentane (chiral)
- 2,2,4-Trimethylpentane (isooctane)
"High octane" is often used to describe a dynamic, intense lifestyle in common speech. Presumably this is by analogy with high performance cars, which tend to require a fuel with a high Octane rating.
Common isomer for Octane is Octene, with the same C8H18.