Nykøbing Falster is a southern Danish city located in Guldborgsund kommune. It belongs to Region Sjælland. The city is geographically partitioned on two islands of Lolland and Falster, connected by the 295 meter long Frederick IX Bridge over the Guldborgsund (Guldborg Strait) waterway. Poul-Henrik Pedersen serves as mayor. The town has a population of 19,679 (2004), of which 16,784 live on the Falster side, and 2,895 live on the Lolland side.
On January 1, 2007, the former Nykøbing Falster municipality merged with Nysted, Nørre Alslev, Sakskøbing, Stubbekøbing, and Sydfalster municipalities to form Guldborgsund municipality. This Kommunalreformen ("The Municipality Reform" of 2007) created a municipality with an area of 907 km² and a total population of 63,533 (2005) and will belong to the new Region Sjælland ("Zealand Region"). The former Nykøbing Falster municipality covered an area of 134 km² with a total population of 25,483 (2005).
Nykøbing Falster is the largest city on the islands of Lolland and Falster, and is often called "Nykøbing F." to distinguish it from at least two other cities in Denmark with the name of Nykøbing. Nykøbing Falster is the seat of state and regional authorities.
There is a 0.5 kilometer long commercial district, walking street (gågade) on the Falster side of the city with a wide selection of shops. At the end of the street is a large plaza where special events are arranged. These include popular late night events, which are held several times a year.
The city has a large central library in the center of town.
The town receives many visitors during the summer, especially from Sydfalster.
Nykøbing Falster has a railway station operated by Danish State Railways. It is the terminus for regular local passenger train services from Copenhagen via Ringsted. International trains operating between Copenhagen and Hamburg (via the train ferry between Rødby and Puttgarden) also call at the station. The Lollandsbanen also operates a rail service to Nakskov.
Nykøbing Falster was founded around a 12th-century medieval castle. At the end of the 12th century, fortifications were set up on a peninsula on Guldborg Sound for protection against the Wends, and these were later converted into Nykøbing Castle. The town of Nykøbing Falster grew up around these fortifications. After the Reformation, the castle was the residence of widowed Danish queens. As several queens of German descent resided here, many Germans came to the town. REF
Situated on a headland, the castle was protected from all sides. In its early days, the castle belonged to the royal house. Medieval documents issued in this region reveal that the royal court regularly visited the castle. This is the castle where Christopher II died (1332) and where Christian V was married (1667). The castle was chartered in 1539. REF
The castle and the entire crown land on Falster were put up for sale in 1763 to help improve the poor state of government finances. The castle was sold for demolition, and only the modest ruin of one of the towers, Fars Hat (Father’s Hat in Danish) is in existence today.
Among the other interesting monuments in Nykøbing-Falster, there is a 15th century castle with a medieval siege-train. City inhabitants often walk in a people's park with an adjacent zoological garden.
Other attractions include: