The Nuremberg Transport Museum (Verkehrsmuseum Nürnberg) is based in Nuremberg, Germany, and consists of the Deutsche Bahn's own DB Museum and the Museum of Communications (Museum für Kommunikation), as well as two satellite DB museums in Koblenz-Lützel (the DB Museum Koblenz) and Halle (Saale) (DB Museum Halle). It is one of the oldest technical history museums in Europe. Since the beginning of February 2007 the official name of the DB Museum is the Company Museum of the Deutsche Bahn AG (Firmenmuseum der Deutschen Bahn AG). It is a milestone on the European Route for Industrial Culture (Europäische Route der Industriekultur or ERIH).
On 1 July 1996 the Deutsche Bahn AG took over the museum from the Deutsche Bundesbahn for the symbolic purchase price of one deutschmark. At the same time Dr. Jürgen Franzke, previously head of the Museum of Industrial Culture (Museums Industriekultur) in Nuremberg, was appointed as the museum's chief. The DB AG planned at that time to invest 6 million DM up to the museum's centenary year.
In the displays of historical railway vehicles are the following important exhibits:
Some of the original vehicles are not in the museum itself, but in the vehicle hall that is situated in the outside area belonging to the museum on the opposite side of the street. In addition the museum owns a range of historical vehicles that can be used for special rail services.
A model railway occupying 80 m² is used to demonstrate prototypical railway operations. During museum opening hours there is a ten-minute demonstration hourly, on the half-hour, with explanations of the key concepts of railway operating. The layout, built between 1960 and 1970, is worked using control panels with a total of some 5000 relays.
A working replica of the Adler, a locomotive from the first German railway between Nuremberg and Fürth, and which was made in 1935, was badly damaged by the blaze. Apprentices and experienced specialists rebuilt the engine in the Meiningen Steam Locomotive Works. After two years of reconstruction the Adler was once again ready for operations in October 2007 and returned to the Nurember Transport Museum on 23 November 2007. Federal Government MPs, members of the DB AG management and the Bavarian minister-president, Beckstein, took part in the first journey of the restored Adler on 26 April 2008. A further, non-operational, 1953 replica is displayed in the museum.
Unfortunately the last surviving examples of the goods train locomotive, the DRG Class 45, the electric Class E 75 locomotive and other exhibits, especially locomotives, as well as numerous spare parts, also fell victim to the fire or were at least badly damaged.
A total of 24 historical engines and wagons went up in smoke. In the long term, the steam engines should be repairable, as should the E 75. The damaged diesel engines and railbuses, due to their light construction, were irreparable and were scrapped by July 2006. The burnt out and partly collapsed locomotive shed was torn down. Several locos were sold or loaned to railway museums for restoration. For example, number 23 105, the last steam engine bought by the Bundesbahn in 1959, was leased to the South German Railway Museum (Süddeutsches Eisenbahnmuseum Heilbronn) in Heilbronn for visual restoration.
In the Lützel district of Koblenz there is a branch of the museum that accommodates a number of vehicles including several Class 103, 110 and 113, E 44 and E 16 electric express locomotives, as well as several coaches belonging to the Joseph Goebbels special train. In addition a restored Prussian T3, factory number 499 built by the Maschinenfabrik Christian Hagans in 1903 and stored under in accordance with strict heritage protection regulations, can be viewed. For decades it had been used as in a children's play park at Cologne Zoo. . At present two of the steam locomotive exhibits damaged in the great fire at Nuremberg are also being restored there.
Due to lack of space, several historical railway postal vehicles are located in the railway park at Augsburg.