Thereafter in 1920, the squadron was reformed in India. There it continued working in Army Air Cooperation for operations on the North West Frontier. From 1920 until 1941 they had a succession of older aircraft: Bristol Fighters, Westland Wapitis and Hawker Harts. During the second world war, 5 Squadron was a Canadian squadron hence the Maple leaf on the tail. In 1942 they received American built Mohawks and became escorts to Blenheim bombers over north west Burma. These were replaced in turn by Hawker Hurricanes and P-47 Thunderbolts. In 1947 the squadron was disbanded.
On 11 February 1949 it reformed Wales for target-towing but in 1951, the squadron moved to Germany to fly the de Havilland Vampires and its successor the Venom. The squadron was part of the defence cuts of 1957 but was restored in 1959 flying the all-Gloster Javelin Germany. It moved to RAF Binbrook in 1965 with the English Electric Lightning interceptor keeping these until 1987. From then until 2003, when it was disbanded at RAF Coningsby, No.5 Squadron flew the Tornado F3 and with this aircraft it was the first RAF squadron (accompanied by No. 29 Squadron) to be deployed as part the UK's contribution to the Gulf War. It reformed on 1 April 2004.