The squadron was formed in August 1918 at Gibraltar to perform anti-submarine patrols. It was disbanded in 1919.
On 11 March 1943 the squadron was reformed at Mombasa again in the anti-submarine role. The squadron used the Consolidated Catalina to patrol the Indian Ocean from its base at Diego Suarez in northern Madagascar. Although the squadron headquarters remained at Diego Suarez, aircraft were also based in Kenya, Aden, Mauritius and South Africa. The squadron was disbanded on 30 April 1945.