No. 224 Squadron RAF was formed on 1 April 1918, at Alimini, Italy from part of No. 6 Wing RNAS, equipped with the De Havilland DH.4. In June 1918 it re-equipped with the De Havilland DH.9. The squadron moved to Taranto in December 1918, disbanding their in May 1919.
On 1 February 1937, the squadron reformed at Manston, when No. 48 Squadron was renumbered. It then moved to Boscombe Down and was equipped with Avro Ansons for reconnaissance duties. In August 1938 the squadron moved to Leuchars, and from May 1939 began re-equipping with the Lockheed Hudson.
The squadron moved to Limavady in April 1941, and then St Eval in December 1941. In February 1942 it returned to Limavady and then moved to Tiree in April 1942 where it converted to Consolidated Liberators. In September 1942 the squadron moved; first to RAF Beaulieu, then St Eval in April 1943, and then Milltown, Scotland in September 1944. The squadron returned to St Eval in July 1945 where it converted to Avro Lancasters in October 1946. The squadron disbanded on 10 November 1947.