On 2 October 1939 No. 145 Squadron was reformed, taking delivery of Hurricane fighters in March 1940. It operated over Dunkirk and in the Battle of Britain before re-equipping with Spitfires in early 1941. From February 1942 it was based in the Middle East, then in Malta, and finally in northern Italy, before disbanding on 19 August 1945.
No. 145 Squadron was reformed once more, as a fighter-bomber unit in Germany, on 1 March 1952. Initially flying de Havilland Vampires, it converted to Venoms in 1954. The Squadron was disbanded on 15 October 1957.