The Nipigon River
is about 48 km (30 miles) long and 50 to 200 m (165 to 656 ft) wide in Ontario
. The river drains Lake Nipigon
into Nipigon Bay in Lake Superior
, dropping from an elevation of 260 m (853 ft) to 183 m (600 ft).
The Nipigon River was a thing of legend for the size and quantity of the brook trout
that were to be found there. However, four dams
built on the Nipigon led to a decline in their population. The four dams are as follows:
- Cameron Falls Dam built in 1918
- Virgin Falls Dam built in 1925
- Alexander Dam built in 1930
- Pine Portage Dam built in 1950
Three hydroelectric dams
, Cameron Falls Dam, Alexander Dam, and Pine Portage Dam on the Nipigon provided 2,144 gigawatt-hours
in 2000. The river is also a popular fishing destination.
In 1915 Dr Cook caught the world record for the largest brook trout, aka speckled trout, or coaster trout. Four years later, Prince Edward, Prince of Wales (later King Edward VIII and Duke of Windsor), spent time fishing on the Nipigon; a trout that he caught was mounted and today is displayed at the National Archives of Canada. The river also has a run of lake trout, rainbow trout and salmon during various times of the year. Fish that migrate up the river are able to get to the first dam which is located approximately from the mouth of the river system. The reservoir between the dams are good fishery, especially for large speckled trout and lake trout.
Guided Fishing Tours and Accommodations
Nipigon River Adventures
has lodging such as the Quebec Lodge and cabins for fisherman on the Nipigon River. The company employs a number of expert guides for both fly fishing
and traditional fishing and boats for rental. Fishing starts the first of May until freeze up at the end of November. The river can be accessed from boat, or fished by shore from various strategic locations.