Ninian Park will host its last ever competitive football match on 25 April 2009, which is Cardiff City versus Ipswich Town, before moving to the new stadium.
The Popular Bank has a mixture of covered seating to the rear of the stand, and uncovered standing terrace to the front. The seating has many supportive poles keeping the roof up, and in keeping with the tradition of many football teams, many seats are coloured white and when viewed from above spell the word Cardiff.
The John Smiths Grange End is the most vocal area of the ground and is a fully covered terrace, which was uncovered for many years, before its renovation in 2001 after Sam Hammam took over as chairman. It also has several supporting poles, and one section houses the away fans. The away section has terrace to the back and seating at the front. In between the home and away fans is a gap separating opposing fans. There is also netting in the middle just incase anybody may want to get to the other side. This gap inbetween the opposing fans came in in 2005 where before there was just a metal fence separating home and away fans.
It was officially opened on 1 September, 1928 before a league match against Burnley by the Lord Mayor of Cardiff and could hold 18,000 spectators. The area behind the goal where the stand was built was previously an earth embankment. The original stand was demolished during the 1977/78 season as structural engineers deemed it to be unsafe and it was replaced by the current stand.
The stadium and surrounding area is served by Ninian Park railway station (on the Cardiff City Line) on one side of Sloper Road and Grangetown railway station (on the Vale Line) on the other side. Trains operate frequently to Central and Queen Street stations.
Built on land that had formerly been the site of a rubbish tip, Ninian Park is named after Lt.-Col. Lord Ninian Edward Crichton-Stuart (15 May 1883–2 October 1915), son of John Patrick Crichton-Stuart, 3rd Marquess of Bute (12 September 1847–9 October 1900).
Work started on Cardiff City's new stadium at the end of 2007, it is to hold around 27,872 when completed, with foundations in place to increase the capacity to 60,000 if needs be. On 6th August 2008 A contract was signed for naming rights on the Leckwith Stadium project after Cardiff City recruited a leading specialist who provided Arsenal with the Emirates Stadium sponsor to find their stadium a leading sponsor. Although a fee hasn't been released it is reported to be in excess of £3million over a 100 year period. As of yet the new stadium does not have a name given to it.
NINIAN PARK TO LIVE ON IN NEW STREETS; Bulldozers Set to Move in and Flatten the Old Stadium within Weeks, Bu Ut New Housing Development Could Preserve Echoes of Its Famous Past
Sep 11, 2009; Byline: Steffan Rhys NINIAN Park's famous stands will be flattened within weeks, developers announced yesterday. The 99-year-old...