At the time of Hobarts re-settlement on the western shore of the Derwent River in 1804, the first free settlers were landed at New Town Bay a day after the military and convict landing on Hunter Island of the 20/21 February. Some early buildings remain including Pitt Farm which is the second oldest farmhouse in Australia.
New Town has the only two single-sex public schools in Tasmania - Ogilvie High School, for girls, and New Town High School for boys. There is also a third main school in New Town, which is the Catholic, Sacred Heart College,new town having in excess of over 1000 students. New Town Primary School is over a hundred years old. The major shopping centre is the Centro New Town, which houses a Kmart, a Coles Supermarket, Video Ezy, and several smaller specialty shops.
The Hobart bike track passes directly through the suburb, on its course from Claremont to the city.
The main road in New Town is known as "New Town Road" and follows on from Elizabeth St in Hobart. The road connects Hobart with the neighbouring city of Glenorchy. Other main roads in New Town are Augusta Road, which leads into Lenah Valley, and Giblin Street which becomes Forster Street, continuing down to the Brooker Highway.