The museum includes the Hirst brothers' collection (14th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry), the Thomas F. Burpee collection (colonel, 21st Connecticut Volunteer Infantry), and the Weston collection (musician, 5th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry). There are also numerous items of other veterans given to the post.
The museum and library along with the hall and its rooms are the property of the Alden Skinner Camp #45 of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War.
In addition, the Museum contains the O'Connell-Chapman Library, which has over 1000 volumes of Civil War literature, in addition to original copies of the 128 volumes of "The War of the Rebellion." The Library also owns original Civil War map books and several photographs.
Recently, the Museum acquired part of its original property from the town of Vernon. The property was once owned by the GAR but was annexed by the town. The Ross S. Dent Reading Room, however, has now been returned to the Museum.
The Grand Hall is used by the Connecticut Commandery of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States (MOLLUS) for their meetings.