New College, Edinburgh
was opened in 1846 as a college of the Free Church of Scotland
, later of the United Free Church of Scotland
, and from the 1930s has been the home of the School of Divinity
(formerly the Faculty of Divinity) of the University of Edinburgh
. As "New College" it continues the historic commitment to offer a programme of academic preparation for ministry in the Church of Scotland
, also made use of by ministerial candidates from other churches. In the 1970s the Faculty of Divinity also began offering undergraduate degrees in Theology and Religious Studies, and students in these programmes now make up the majority of the nearly 300 undergraduates enrolled in any given year. Cognisant of its history, the School of Divinity is proud of the international character of its staff and students, welcoming people from many different religious and non-religious backgrounds.
New College (the School of Divinity) is today one of the largest and most renowned centres for (post)graduate studies in Theology and Religious Studies in the UK, with approximately 150 students in masters and PhD degree programmes in any given year, and from over 30 countries. There are now nearly 30 full-time members of the academic staff, and they include internationally respected scholars in various specialities.
The School of Divinity offers five different undergraduate (Honours) degrees. The MA Divinity
allows students to focus on traditional areas of Christian studies (Theology
, Biblical Studies, Ecclesiastical History, Christian Ethics and Systematic Theology). The MA Religious Studies
introduces students to the methods of the study of religion and a variety of religious traditions such as indigenous religions, Islam
traditions. The MA Religious Studies and English Literature
and the MA Philosophy and Theology
allow students to work cross-disciplinary. The Bachelor of Divinity
prepares candidates for the ministry (and is open to other interested students also). Members of academic staff are all employees of the University of Edinburgh
, and are today an international body of scholars of various persuasions in religious matters.
The School also offers several masters degree programmes
(e.g., Biblical Studies, Theology in History, Theology and Ethics, World Christianity, Ministry), and is an internationally known centre for PhD studies in a broad spectrum of specialities. There is no confessional test for staff or students. Only a portion of the undergraduate students are ministerial candidates, and the majority enter a variety of careers after studies (e.g., teachers, libraries, TV/radio production, civil service, further professional studies in law, finance, social work, etc.).
In addition to offices and classrooms, the New College site has dedicated computing facilities for undergraduate and postgraduate students (including some 70 study desks for postgrads). New College is also the home of several research centres: the Centre for the Study of Christianity in the Non-Western World (established by Andrew F. Walls, and which has a dedicated reading room and its own collection of archival and other material on the history of Christian missions), the Centre for Theology and Public Issues, and the Centre for the Study of Christian Origins.
New College (School of Divinity) is today a multi-disciplinary unit rated among the best units in Theology & Religious Studies in the UK in the last two national Research Assessment Exercises. The School of Divinity is also regularly among the top 3-5 Theology & Religious Studies departments in the UK in national newspaper league tables, and was rated highly in the 2007 National Student Survey.
New College is located in the city centre on Mound Place (on The Mound
), overlooking Princes Street Gardens
, the National Gallery of Art, and Princes Street
. The building was designed by the respected 19th century architect William Henry Playfair
Prior to the 1929 reunion of the Church of Scotland, candidates for the ministry in the United Free Church studied at New College, whilst candidates for the old Church of Scotland studied in the Divinity Faculty of the University of Edinburgh. During the 1930s the two institutions came together, sharing the New College site on The Mound. "New College" can designate the site itself, or the legal entity that continues to function in an official relationship with the Church of Scotland, the Principal of New College appointed by the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland
and responsible particularly for Church of Scotland candidates for ministry. As the "School of Divinity," however, it is a unit in the University of Edinburgh with a much wider remit, and is led by the Head of the School of Divinity who is appointed by the University, and who oversees the larger academic and financial operation. Over the years, a number of notable figures have been among its academic staff, including Robert Rainy
, Thomas Chalmers
, Hugh Ross Mackintosh, James Barr
, Thomas F. Torrance
, James S. Stewart
, John Baillie
, John McIntyre
, Norman Porteous and others.
The New College library
was founded in 1843 as the Library of the Free Church College. It is one of the largest theological libraries in the United Kingdom, holding a large collection of manuscripts, including the papers of Thomas Chalmers, John Baillie, J. H. Oldham and James S. Stewart. Today the library is situated in the eastern wing of New College, and its splendid reading hall was originally built as the sanctuary of the Free High Kirk.
is a mediaeval-styled, gothic revival dining hall, adorned with heraldry and with a decorated wooden ceiling, and is open all day for coffee/tea, lunch, and students and staff to chat. It is also equipped for wireless computing.
General Assembly Hall
As well as the teaching facilities and the library, the New College complex also includes the General Assembly Hall of the Church of Scotland
, which, however, remains the property of the Church, and is where annual meetings of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland
are held. This hall was also used as a temporary home for the debating chamber of the Scottish Parliament
, from its establishment in 1999 until the completion of the new Scottish Parliament Building
at Holyrood in 2004.
Regarding the history of New College see the following:
Watt, Hugh. New College, Edinburgh: A Centenary History. Edinburgh: Oliver & Boyd, 1946.
Wright, David F. and Gary D. Badcock (eds.). Disruption to Diversity: Edinburgh Divinity 1846 - 1996. Edinburgh: T&T Clark, 1996.