Mutzig is a little town located at the entrance of the Bruche River Valley.
Evidences of human activities can be traced back to the Paleolithic era with the recent discovery of Neanderthal artifacts.
Throughout history, Mutzig enjoyed certain renown until the French Revolution. In the 19th century, several industries were established in Mutzig among which a weapon manufactory. Starting 1893, Mutzig became to be known for its military vocation when Kaiser Wilhelm II ordered the construction of a fort north of the town as well as military barracks.
Mutzig is on the Route des Vins d'Alsace.