The mill was last worked in 1947 by Mr Fred Mutton (hence the name Muttons Mill) and was used to drain the surrounding marshland into the Halvergate Fleet. The mill is now in private ownership and in 1984 a new cap and six bladed fantail followed by one pair of patent sails in 1998. The mill's restored fantail was blown off the mill in 2005, however it has since been replaced during 2008.
The fantail has been repaired and refitted in the autumn of 2007.
Much-maligned mutton need no longer be dressed as lamb, argues top television chef; FIGHT TO PUT THE MEAT BACK ON OUR TABLES.(News)(Recipe)
Mar 23, 2011; Byline: SALLY WILLIAMS IT'S most commonly used as a byword for a second-rate product. But much-maligned Mutton could be...