The property was purchased in 1883 by Louis Ramboz, who had the house built in 1889 from lumber milled on the property. Midway House served as a stopping point on the stagecoach route from Denver to Fairplay, named because of its location midway between Denver and Bailey. The ranch reportedly served as the winter quarters for animals of the P.T. Barnum Circus in the late 1880s. A board inscribed "Circus Town 1889" was found in the house during renovation in 1955.
After Ramboz, the ranch was owned by Ralph Kirkpatrick from 1912 to 1950 and run as a working ranch with a hillside cleared for skiing in the 1940s with horses pulling skiers to the top of the slope.
In 1950, Norman and Ethel Meyer bought the ranch including Midway House. In 1959, they bought McIntyre's original homestead. The Meyers sold of their ranch to Jefferson County Open Space in 1987, which opened Meyer Ranch Park to the public in 1989. The house remains in the Meyers' ownership.
The location appeared on the pilot episode of the History Channel documentary series Mega Movers. It first aired on April 27, 2005 as a segment of the Modern Marvels episode "Mega Movers" (#337), which followed the move of a cabin and an 1870 hay and stock barn closer to the ranch house.