Mid-stream operation is the operation of loading and unloading cargo containers at the container ship while at sea, with barges or dumb steel lighters performing the transfer, distribution or landing of containers to piers nearby.
Although mid-stream operation has significant advantages of low-cost, it has been criticized for its dangerous operation where cargoes are transferred between two ships on sea, which make it very difficult to operate.
Hong Kong operations
Mid-stream operation has been abandoned almost everywhere except Hong Kong
, where land is insufficient and the fees for using the container pier are quite high. In Hong Kong, mid-stream operations occur in
11 different locations, occupying a total land area of 34.3 hectares and waterfrontage of 3,462 metres.
- China Merchants Container Services Ltd.
- Faith & Safe Transportation Ltd.
- Fat Kee Stevedores Ltd.
- Hoi Kong Container Services Co, Ltd.
- Ocean Crown Transportation Ltd.
- Shenzhin Shipping Agency Co, Ltd.
- Tai Wah Sea/Land Heavy Transportation Ltd.
- Transward Ltd.
- Asia Port Services